Question Can I update the bios on my x99 motherboard from F1 to F22 using qFlash, with a cpu that requires F22?

Jan 3, 2020
I have a gigabyte x99 gaming 5p. I want to add an i7 6950x, but that requires bios F22. Can I use the cpu, and run qFlash during post? Thank you!

I have a gigabyte x99 gaming 5p. I want to add an i7 6950x, but that requires bios F22. Can I use the cpu, and run qFlash during post? Thank you!
Q-Flash Plus
GIGABYTE Q-Flash Plus allows users to update to the latest BIOS using a thumb drive without the CPU or memory needing to be installed.
Do you have the latest CPU supported by your GIGABYTE motherboard but do not have the latest BIOS installed yet? This is no longer a problem with the new Q-Flash Plus feature. By simply downloading the latest BIOS and renaming it on a USB thumb drive, and plugging it into the dedicated port, you can now flash the BIOS automatically without the need to press any buttons or even the need of onboard memory or CPU. Utilizing the ITE EC 8951E controller, GIGABYTE X99 motherboard BIOS can be updated even if your system is unable to boot. An LED next to the EC controller will notify you once the procedure is complete and you are ready to boot your system normally."

So you can update your bios with just a USB stick.

both Amazon and Newegg are quoting the 6950X at $2k, plus...(even more ludicrous than it's original $1799 price, if that was possible!)

Please tell me you found one or a source for one for $600-$700, as paying more would seem ...well..questionable... with the better performing (and same 10c/20t configuration but for X299) 7900X at $999... (and soon, 18C/36 threads can be had for the same cost with 10980XE when it finally launches)

Let's not even get started on the 12c/24t Ryzen 9-3900X/3950X price comparison....(at $500/$750, respectively!)

Latest posts