[SOLVED] Can I upgrade a dell OptiPlex 7010 PSU?

Oct 19, 2021
Prebuild Dell Optiplex 7010 Small frame
Baseboard 0WR7PY
CPU: I7-3770

Dell support told me I cant upgrade it. What can I do?

I bought SilverStone TX300 300w and a GT 730 before speaking to Dell.
Is it safe to upgrade and will it work?

Solution
A better PSU will not hurt your computer, as long as you can make sure the PSU is pinned the same. There is no "one size fits all" explanation for how Dell does their prebuilts. I have one that uses entirely upgradeable, standard ports and plugs. My friend has one that uses all non-standard parts, and is generally not upgradable. Overall, the smaller the computer, the less you will be able to upgrade. One of the biggest things you can look for is the 24-Pin motherboard connection from the PSU. Quite a few Dell systems use their own motherboard power connection, and if your is one of those, then you cannot upgrade the PSU, as the plugs are not compatible with the rest of the PC.
D

Deleted member 362816

Never messed with the small frames I think the power supply will fit but I think you may need an adaptor depends on what motherboard that unit came with some are 24pin some are 8 pin only.

Oct 19, 2021
Should I worry about potential damage done to the computer upgrading the PSU?

Edit: Honestly I didnt plan on upgrading the PSU but Geforce GT 730 requires 300w. Currently the PSU is at 240w

Last edited:
A better PSU will not hurt your computer, as long as you can make sure the PSU is pinned the same. There is no "one size fits all" explanation for how Dell does their prebuilts. I have one that uses entirely upgradeable, standard ports and plugs. My friend has one that uses all non-standard parts, and is generally not upgradable. Overall, the smaller the computer, the less you will be able to upgrade. One of the biggest things you can look for is the 24-Pin motherboard connection from the PSU. Quite a few Dell systems use their own motherboard power connection, and if your is one of those, then you cannot upgrade the PSU, as the plugs are not compatible with the rest of the PC.

Solution

Remeca

Reputable
There are adapters to hook up standard 24 pin PSUs to proprietary Dell connectors, but it's tricky on SFF because they don't use ATX PSUs. However, a gt 730 in a 7010 SFF would not require a PSU upgrade.

There are adapters to hook up standard 24 pin PSUs to proprietary Dell connectors, but it's tricky on SFF because they don't use ATX PSUs. However, a gt 730 in a 7010 SFF would not require a PSU upgrade.
I figured they are available, however I would not be surprised if Dell had a different pin setup for different PCs that use the same physical plug. I do not know if they do this, but adapters would be at your own risk, assuming they are properly pinned for the Dell you have. If you can find one that is stated to work with your PC, I would try it out. Make sure the new PSU can actually fit into your PC case before buying adapters or anything else additional.

Remeca

Reputable
I figured they are available, however I would not be surprised if Dell had a different pin setup for different PCs that use the same physical plug. I do not know if they do this, but adapters would be at your own risk, assuming they are properly pinned for the Dell you have. If you can find one that is stated to work with your PC, I would try it out. Make sure the new PSU can actually fit into your PC case before buying adapters or anything else additional.
There are companies that make adapters specifically for this purpose. In this case, it turns out the 7010 sff uses a standard 24 pin PSU plug.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Should I worry about potential damage done to the computer upgrading the PSU?

Edit: Honestly I didnt plan on upgrading the PSU but Geforce GT 730 requires 300w. Currently the PSU is at 240w
A gt 730 will be fine with a 240w PSU. I upgraded an optiplex with a 260w PSU and a 1050ti works fine with it. Gt 730 pulls no more than 40w and a 1050ti is like 75w