Question Can i upgrade from a amd ryzen 5 1500x to amd ryzen 7 2700

Jan 28, 2020
Hey guys im a bit of a pc noobie but i currently own the amd 5 1500x will i be able to upgrade to ryzen 7 2700x they have the same am4 socket: Plus is it perfectly fine do just swap out the cpus like do i need to buy anything for this to work maybe excep thermal paste? thx in advance :)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
what is your motherboard? technically you can swap out the chips.
if you want to overclock make sure your VRM can handle the extra heat.

whether it makes sense to do so depends on the rest of the parts.
you would not put a jet engine on a skateboard, you technically could but it may not work like you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: WezleeBr

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sort of hard to answer without knowing some info about the rest of your system.
What motherboard/chipset, PSU, GPU, etc.

Where it's doubtful that your GPU/PSU combo are at such a limit that the extra power required would matter....the quality of the VRM and chipset of your motherboard do.
If you have any of the 3xx series of motherboards you will need to do a BIOS update. The 2700x should at least RUN on any of the chipsets once that is done. Headroom for OC'ing would be dependent on those VRM.

Aside from that, yeah some alcohol, wipes, and thermal paste. If you are going to use the stock cooler for the 2700x find those standoffs that you took off the mobo….if you went with a tower cooler of most any level of quality it should work fine for the 2700x as well, particularly at stock clocks/levels.

For the pricing available for the 2700x it's currently one of the better deals on the market for price to performance. Should be a nice bump.

logainofhades

Titan
Hey guys im a bit of a pc noobie but i currently own the amd 5 1500x will i be able to upgrade to ryzen 7 2700x they have the same am4 socket: Plus is it perfectly fine do just swap out the cpus like do i need to buy anything for this to work maybe excep thermal paste? thx in advance :)

Short answer, yes. Long answer, whether you should, or not, depends on the rest of your system specifically motherboard model, and the make/model, of your power supply.

Jan 28, 2020
Sort of hard to answer without knowing some info about the rest of your system.
What motherboard/chipset, PSU, GPU, etc.

Where it's doubtful that your GPU/PSU combo are at such a limit that the extra power required would matter....the quality of the VRM and chipset of your motherboard do.
If you have any of the 3xx series of motherboards you will need to do a BIOS update. The 2700x should at least RUN on any of the chipsets once that is done. Headroom for OC'ing would be dependent on those VRM.

Aside from that, yeah some alcohol, wipes, and thermal paste. If you are going to use the stock cooler for the 2700x find those standoffs that you took off the mobo….if you went with a tower cooler of most any level of quality it should work fine for the 2700x as well, particularly at stock clocks/levels.

For the pricing available for the 2700x it's currently one of the better deals on the market for price to performance. Should be a nice bump.
this is my mobo https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450M-A/
i have a 650 psu and 1070 ti
the 2700x is on sale in a local pc shop for 140 euros until the 31st of januari so i was thinking for a upgrade thx for the reply tho

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes it would work but I do not suggest overclocking at all. there is no cooling on the VRM.
you will need BIOS revision 0219 or newer installed before the swap.
thermal paste and a lint free cloth/coffee filters and alcohol to clean old paste

logainofhades

Titan
yes it would work but I do not suggest overclocking at all. there is no cooling on the VRM.
you will need BIOS revision 0219 or newer installed before the swap.
thermal paste and a lint free cloth/coffee filters and alcohol to clean old paste

0219 is the release bios, just as an FYI. I also would not overclock, and hopefully this 2700x comes with its stock cooler. The downdraft style cooling will help keep some active air, on those vrms.

Reactions: WezleeBr and R_1
Frankly, when you consider that a 2017 B350-based motehrboard supports and runs almost properly a 16-core 2020 CPU, there is little chance a much more recent board wouldn't support a 8-core CPU of the same year. Remember that these boards also supported the 1800X, which had a power envelope equivalent if not over that of the 2700X.
You can do it. You shouldn't even need a BIOS upgrade, I would recommend clearing the CMOS (using the CLR_CMOS jumper or removing the 3.3V battery when the machine is powered down) just to be sure. A BIOS update whould allow faster boot times though.

Trust me, I've got an ASRock AB350 Pro 4, running a ryzen 7 1700x overclocked. But when I see for example that a 3600x can run with an i7 8700k, I'm tempted to sell my 1700x and pick up a 3600 and start overclocking. But then I realize that now, my cpu is doing ok, and that later in the year I may be able to snag a 3600/3600x for cheap, or maybe a 3700x. Or who knows maybe this board will support a 4000 series cpu.

Nov 22, 2020
b450 has a max of i9 3xxx IF ON LATEST BIOS .... original bios only supports up to 2xxx .... so yeah it'll work. but would suggest the ryzen 5 2600x as i have it and it is able to handle running a vm with GTAV While running Minecraft java with over 30 mods natively.... most people won't need more especially if oc'd to 4.3ghz with stock wraith stealth cooler (max for stock cooler... 4.9ghz stable possible on 240 mm liquid) and significantly less expensive....