[SOLVED] can i upgrade from e8400 to q9550 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2020
which motherboard do i have ? T674K or U562N ?
Service Tag: 4VF5B4J
Express Service Code: 10607022739

Solution
I would suggest that upgrading from a Core2Duo to a Core2Quad, given its literally more-than-decade-old hardware (2008), is not really going to be worth the time and effort put into it, gains on anything relatively modern, even simple stuff like web browsing and youtube, will be minimal at best, if only because even those are heftier cpu loads these days than they were in 2008.

New machines are literally, by Moore's Law, 256 times more powerful. (thats 25,600%). You don't upgrade a buggy whip.
Nov 3, 2020
because there are two types of these mobos ,eventhough they are all lga 775 and T674K Non-Quad core CPU motherboard does not work with it . i cant find my mobo version , cpuz doesnt show , neither speccy ...

Nov 3, 2020
open the case and read the name/model directly from the motherboard
nothing on that , have tried it before . on some forums people are asking for the service code or service tag and find it somehow using that info ... thats why i wrote in the main post , my only problem is i cant play youtube 1080p 60 fps , because cpu is 100% usage when i try , thats why i wanted to put a quad

Nov 3, 2020
I would suggest that upgrading from a Core2Duo to a Core2Quad, given its literally more-than-decade-old hardware (2008), is not really going to be worth the time and effort put into it, gains on anything relatively modern, even simple stuff like web browsing and youtube, will be minimal at best, if only because even those are heftier cpu loads these days than they were in 2008.

New machines are literally, by Moore's Law, 256 times more powerful. (thats 25,600%). You don't upgrade a buggy whip.

Reactions: flori2020
Solution
Nov 3, 2020

ok im leaving it as it is .. it actually flies through everyday tasks , chrome 20+ tabs open , no problems at all.. even turns on in like 8 sec .,

Reactions: SamirD
If this was really the case then systems at stores that cost $1100 should be faster than 1800 on speed-battle.com when my q9550 system that was free that I'm using right now scores 1100. And this is without an ssd. Older systems are actually surprisingly quick for how old they are if they are properly matched with software within their capability.

which motherboard do i have ? T674K or U562N ?
Service Tag: 4VF5B4J
Express Service Code: 10607022739
You'll have to look for the sticker on the motherboard as apparently the 760 series was bit tricky:
https://www.dell.com/community/Opti...650-3-00Ghz-in-a-Optiplex-760-DT/td-p/7720368

Once you figure this out, the upgrade is a cakewalk--even if you have to upgrade to a better factory cooler. The performance jump will be worth it. And also don't exclude the lga775 xeons as they are basically twins of the q9xxx series. I have one in my optiplex 380 and it works great on the stock bios. :)

Reactions: flori2020
Status
Not open for further replies.