Can I upgrade from Windows 10 technical preview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noremac999

Reputable
May 17, 2015
I'm building a PC in a few days and I want to know if I can get windows 10 for free if I install the technical preview without a copy of windows 7/8. I've recently heard a lot about Microsoft making and going back on promises about that, so can I?

Solution

Yes. sort of. As above, to continue using it, you have to remain a participant in the Insider Program. And basically be a permanent beta tester.

More info here:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Specifically:
“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that...

USAFRet

Titan

Yes. sort of. As above, to continue using it, you have to remain a participant in the Insider Program. And basically be a permanent beta tester.

More info here:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Specifically:
“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Solution

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
It will most likely be treated as an OEM license, so transfers will be more difficult. The question really is that if there is no price difference, whether all licenses will be essentially OEM style.

Status
Not open for further replies.