Can I upgrade my 8200 processor to a faster one... and... ..

Hi:

1. I have a Dell 8200, with a 2.26 G processor. Will the mother board allow
me to upgrade to a 3.0G Processor?

The Main Circuit Board specs are:
Board: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8200
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 04/18/2002

The Current Processor details are:
2.25 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Memory Module details are:
768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'RIMM1' has 128 MB
Slot 'RIMM2' has 128 MB
Slot 'RIMM3' has 256 MB
Slot 'RIMM4' has 256 MB

2. Can I also upgrade the BIOS as it appears the present BIOS cannot
recognize 250G Hard-disks.

TIA

ooops wrote:

> Hi:
>
> 1. I have a Dell 8200, with a 2.26 G processor. Will the mother board allow
> me to upgrade to a 3.0G Processor?
>
> The Main Circuit Board specs are:
> Board: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8200
> Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
> BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 04/18/2002
>
> The Current Processor details are:
> 2.25 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
> 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
> 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
>
> Memory Module details are:
> 768 Megabytes Installed Memory
>
> Slot 'RIMM1' has 128 MB
> Slot 'RIMM2' has 128 MB
> Slot 'RIMM3' has 256 MB
> Slot 'RIMM4' has 256 MB
>
> 2. Can I also upgrade the BIOS as it appears the present BIOS cannot
> recognize 250G Hard-disks.
>
> TIA

I have a Dimension 8200 that I've upgraded to a 3.06 GHz P4 with
only a little trouble. The trouble I mention has to do with
the mounting of the cpu. The latching apparatus for the original
heat sink/cpu would not work with the new one. Had to obtain an adapter
kit. If the new cpu has a built-in fan and you are not into removing
the motherboard etc. you might want to reconsider the upgrade or find
someone who is willing to disassemble your PC.

You will want to upgrade to the A09 bios also. I have since added
a 200 GB Seagate with no problems.

About the only upgrade left is a new Dell... :)

"C. B. Kelley" <cbk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> ooops wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > 1. I have a Dell 8200, with a 2.26 G processor. Will the mother board
allow
> > me to upgrade to a 3.0G Processor?
> >
> > The Main Circuit Board specs are:
> > Board: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8200
> > Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
> > BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 04/18/2002
> >
> > The Current Processor details are:
> > 2.25 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
> > 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
> > 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
> >
> > Memory Module details are:
> > 768 Megabytes Installed Memory
> >
> > Slot 'RIMM1' has 128 MB
> > Slot 'RIMM2' has 128 MB
> > Slot 'RIMM3' has 256 MB
> > Slot 'RIMM4' has 256 MB
> >
> > 2. Can I also upgrade the BIOS as it appears the present BIOS cannot
> > recognize 250G Hard-disks.
> >
> > TIA
> >

> I have a Dimension 8200 that I've upgraded to a 3.06 GHz P4 with
> only a little trouble. The trouble I mention has to do with
> the mounting of the cpu. The latching apparatus for the original
> heat sink/cpu would not work with the new one. Had to obtain an adapter
> kit. If the new cpu has a built-in fan and you are not into removing
> the motherboard etc. you might want to reconsider the upgrade or find
> someone who is willing to disassemble your PC.
>
> You will want to upgrade to the A09 bios also. I have since added
> a 200 GB Seagate with no problems.
>
> About the only upgrade left is a new Dell... :)

Hi, Thank you... btw, where did you get the adapter kit... is there a
picture online at some e-shop that I could look at, perhaps a brand name or
something that I could google for.

TIA

You might see if there is a BIOS upgrade which MIGHT allevaite the hard drive
capacity problem. If not, then a 3rd party add-on hard disk controller card
with its own BIOS is the best option.

This board is essentially a derivative or variation of the the Intel D850-series
motherboards. Intel's web site indicates that the fastest supported processor
for a D850 is a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 with 400MHz FSB. The bump up in speed from 2.2
to 2.6GHz is barely worth the time and money to do it... Ben Myers

ooops wrote:
> "C. B. Kelley" <cbk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>ooops wrote:
>>

>>>Hi:
>>>
>>>1. I have a Dell 8200, with a 2.26 G processor. Will the mother board
>
> allow
>
>>>me to upgrade to a 3.0G Processor?
>>>
>>>The Main Circuit Board specs are:
>>> Board: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8200
>>> Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
>>> BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 04/18/2002
>>>
>>>The Current Processor details are:
>>> 2.25 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
>>> 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
>>> 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
>>>
>>>Memory Module details are:
>>> 768 Megabytes Installed Memory
>>>
>>> Slot 'RIMM1' has 128 MB
>>> Slot 'RIMM2' has 128 MB
>>> Slot 'RIMM3' has 256 MB
>>> Slot 'RIMM4' has 256 MB
>>>
>>>2. Can I also upgrade the BIOS as it appears the present BIOS cannot
>>>recognize 250G Hard-disks.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>>I have a Dimension 8200 that I've upgraded to a 3.06 GHz P4 with
>>only a little trouble. The trouble I mention has to do with
>>the mounting of the cpu. The latching apparatus for the original
>>heat sink/cpu would not work with the new one. Had to obtain an adapter
>>kit. If the new cpu has a built-in fan and you are not into removing
>>the motherboard etc. you might want to reconsider the upgrade or find
>>someone who is willing to disassemble your PC.
>>
>>You will want to upgrade to the A09 bios also. I have since added
>>a 200 GB Seagate with no problems.
>>
>>About the only upgrade left is a new Dell... :)
>

> Hi, Thank you... btw, where did you get the adapter kit... is there a
> picture online at some e-shop that I could look at, perhaps a brand name or
> something that I could google for.
>
> TIA

I ordered the cpu and adapter kit from powerleap.com.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"ooops" <oops@me.com> wrote in message news:<cihkga$r17$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg>...
> Hi:
>
> 1. I have a Dell 8200, with a 2.26 G processor. Will the mother board allow
> me to upgrade to a 3.0G Processor?
>
> The Main Circuit Board specs are:
> Board: Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8200
> Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
> BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 04/18/2002
>
> The Current Processor details are:
> 2.25 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
> 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
> 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
>
> Memory Module details are:
> 768 Megabytes Installed Memory
>
> Slot 'RIMM1' has 128 MB
> Slot 'RIMM2' has 128 MB
> Slot 'RIMM3' has 256 MB
> Slot 'RIMM4' has 256 MB
>
> 2. Can I also upgrade the BIOS as it appears the present BIOS cannot
> recognize 250G Hard-disks.
>
> TIA

BIOS shouldn't be a problem for the HDD... You will need to ensure you
have Windows XP SP1 to see a 250GB HDD. I have the one from Western
Digital on an 8200 with the board junior to the one you have (although
it is at the same version and date) and had no problems with BIOS,
just had to upgrade the XP service pack. Otherwise Windows won't
recognize the whole drive.

Additionally, you lucked out with the 850E motherboard. You can indeed
get a POWERLEAP chip that will get you over 3GHz. Go to Powerleap.com
and they have a tool that will auto-identify which chip you can use.

Robert