[SOLVED] Can i upgrade my AMD E-300 processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_15

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I bought an Acer laptop that has the AMD E-300 series prodcessor and was wondering if I could get it upgraded to a faster processor?

Solution
I would imagine you would damage the motherboard by even attempting to remove it and re-soldering would be impossible because it is done through a complicated manufacturing process.

I have upgraded Intel Core 2 processors on laptops. They use pins similar to a desktop socket however the mobile socket is different so you simply couldn’t buy a standard processor that you would use for a home build and cram it into a laptop if that was the idea you were getting.

Have you found a place that you can buy a compatible upgrade? If you can’t find them then it probably isn’t a viable upgrade.

Ian-Mac

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I would imagine you would damage the motherboard by even attempting to remove it and re-soldering would be impossible because it is done through a complicated manufacturing process.

I have upgraded Intel Core 2 processors on laptops. They use pins similar to a desktop socket however the mobile socket is different so you simply couldn’t buy a standard processor that you would use for a home build and cram it into a laptop if that was the idea you were getting.

Have you found a place that you can buy a compatible upgrade? If you can’t find them then it probably isn’t a viable upgrade.

Solution
Dec 14, 2021
Oh so many people assuming the worst, I have a Lenovo G858,this (if you watch a teardown on YouTube) has a PGA not BGA, will require completely tearing down the notebook, removing the cooler and replacing the chip then apply thermal paste and re construct., Hope this helps.
I still don't know which would be a good replacement but I am looking.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh so many people assuming the worst, I have a Lenovo G858,this (if you watch a teardown on YouTube) has a PGA not BGA, will require completely tearing down the notebook, removing the cooler and replacing the chip then apply thermal paste and re construct., Hope this helps.
I still don't know which would be a good replacement but I am looking.
A decade later.....

Please don't dredge up ancient threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.