[SOLVED] Can i upgrade my APU to a normal CPU?

Feb 15, 2019
I currently have a AMD A6-6400K APU and i want to upgrade it to a AMD Athlon X2 340. Will i be able to do it without a dedicated graphics card?

Solution
You can use a non-APU CPU of the same socket type with your motherboard, however, you will need a video card if you aren't using an APU. The APU has a built in graphics processor that a non-APU lacks.

Now, the Athlon you've picked isn't much of an upgrade over your current A6. It is in the ballpark of 10% You'd have much better luck upgrading to an A8 6600K (a 62% performance increase) or even an A10 7890K (a 75% performance increse). Either of those would be an upgrade in your video processor capability as well since they are higher tier APUs.
You can use a non-APU CPU of the same socket type with your motherboard, however, you will need a video card if you aren't using an APU. The APU has a built in graphics processor that a non-APU lacks.

Now, the Athlon you've picked isn't much of an upgrade over your current A6. It is in the ballpark of 10% You'd have much better luck upgrading to an A8 6600K (a 62% performance increase) or even an A10 7890K (a 75% performance increse). Either of those would be an upgrade in your video processor capability as well since they are higher tier APUs.

Solution