[SOLVED] Can I upgrade my brother's RS780M03G1 Gateway with a decent GPU

jmhyrum

Commendable
May 25, 2018
So my brother is wanting to play with me and my friends who are all using $400+ custom gaming PCs. He doesn't have much money at all in fact he is considering around $100 max. Doing some research I have found that a video card like a R7 240 or R7 250 would do what he would like ($50-75). He is rocking a RS780M03G1-8EKSMH Gateway PC/Motherboard with an AMD Phenom ii x4 820 CPU. I'm wondering if a GPU upgrade is possible.

Solution
You can buy cheap graphics cards in that price range. But as to whether they are "decent" is another question, and the answer is not likely.

Any motherboard with a PCI Express x 16 slot (most if not all) can support a graphics card. The next question is there enough space in the case and is the power supply suffecient to power the GPU.
You can buy cheap graphics cards in that price range. But as to whether they are "decent" is another question, and the answer is not likely.

Any motherboard with a PCI Express x 16 slot (most if not all) can support a graphics card. The next question is there enough space in the case and is the power supply suffecient to power the GPU.

Solution

jmhyrum

Commendable
May 25, 2018
I cannot see a power watts on the PSU, so I'm trying to look that up, as with the case size; it has plenty of room. It does have the correct slot for it. From what I can tell the PSU of other similar Gateway models are anywhere from 300w-350w.

I suggest you look at HD 7750 or HD 7770 cards, the R7 250x is basically a rebadged 7770. The 250 non x is basically a weaker 7750, so it might be okay on less demanding games. I wouldn't even consider the 240.

On the Nvidia side a GT 640 DDR5 or GT 730 DDR5 would be about equivalent to the AMD cards.

DDR5 vram is critical on this level of card if any gaming is going to be attempted. Do not get a DDR3 card. These cards are for less demanding games at 720p or less usually.