Question Can I upgrade my CPU - Lenovo Ideapad 120S-11IAP

Mar 7, 2019
Hi all,

I'm new here from Ireland. My Lenovo Ideapad 120S-11IAP has an Intel(R) Celeron (R) CPU N3350 @ 1.1GHZ. I love this little budget laptop and would rather try upgrade the CPU than buy a new laptop. I've already upgraded the hard drive to an a solid state drive and replaced the screen. Its more of a project that I enjoy and would like to give it a go.

Could someone advise:
1) If it's possible to upgrade the CPU on this laptop? I don't know whether it is socketed or surface mounted to the motherboard. If surface mounted I assume it's not possible.

2) If possible, what processors would be suitable? I assume I'll need a processor that doesn't require higher thermal requirements than current 6W.

3) Does the BIOS support better models of CPU than the one currently installed or how do I find this out?

Thanks

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Reactions: meathmanal
Mar 7, 2019
1) Possible if your good with soldering as the CPU is soldered to the motherboard (BGA).
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/celeron/n3350.html

2) If it matches the TDP of the current CPU (6W) then it should be fine but you may want to double check the compatibility per the motherboard manufacturer website.

3) See answer 2 as that info would be included.
Much appreciated @WildCard999. I ran a CMD prompt and found out the motherboard is LNVNB161216 from Lenovo. However, I'm unable to find what CPUs are compatible with the board or what board with better processors I could swap out. Would you able to point me to a weblink(s)?

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Much appreciated @WildCard999. I ran a CMD prompt and found out the motherboard is LNVNB161216 from Lenovo. However, I'm unable to find what CPUs are compatible with the board. Would you able to point me to a weblink?
I don't see much for that motherboard as far as specs or CPU compatibility, this might be a question for Lenovo directly.

TRENDING THREADS