Can I upgrade my cpu ?

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished
Ok so I currently have a intel (r) Pentium (r) 4 cpu 2.80 ghz and I was looking to upgrade.. Does anyone know if I can use a intel i5 or i7 ? Seeing as my motherboard fits this model of intel processors would I be okay to upgrade ? And If I can't use an i5 or i7 do you know any other cpus I could use ? I just need to render videos faster

Solution
No. The Pentium 4 is very old and obsolete. There's not much available to improve on your system. Either live with what you have, or consider a new system.

jimpz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I5's & 7's will not fit as they are a different socket than the P4, to tell you what will work (as the mobo bios can also affect what will work, we would need to know your motherboard model. That said, with the age of a P4, you would probably be spending a lot of money for small inprovement.

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished

I know it has been years since this post but you're response actually sparked my interest in eliminating my ignorance and now I have some certs ! you're the man

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Congrats! It's been over 3 years since you posted. :lol: What have you come up with after all this time?

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished

Congrats! It's been over 3 years since you posted. :lol: What have you come up with after all this time?
Got a job as a Sys admin, and have a family now.