Can I upgrade my Dell Dimension 2350 CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My second computer is a Dell Deminsion 2350, with a 2.0GHz processor, socket 478(?).

I have already got all the information I can from the Dell webiste. It says this model can with up to a 2.5GHZ Pentium 4 processor. NOTE: it is only 400FSB! Not 533 or higher.

I've already pushed everthing else in the case: 2x1GB DDR PC2100 RAM, 3-120GB WD HDD EIDE, 1-HD Radeon 4350 512MB DDR2 PCI Graphics Card, 1-Linksys Gigabit Network Adapter, 1-HP DVD/CD RW+ w/LightScribe EIDE, 500W Power supply.

Yes I got 3 hard drives in a Dell case! Got the graphics card so I could run Window 7 Home 32-bit.

Anyway, if I get a Intel Pentium 4 2.5GHz 400MHz 512K 478pin CPU, will the motherboard will recognize it? My chipset is Intel 845GL.

The BIOS on this motherboard have NO CPU settings. And, I can't disable the onboard video, so I disable it in Windows.

Anyone else do this?

BTW: I did case mods. I installed 2 extra case fans (input): 1 side fan to blow on graphics card, and 1 front fan to blow around the HDD's. There were only 2 output (1-CPU, 1-PSU). I also have a PCI blower. Seems to run cool(er).

P.S. Does anyone know if I can get a HDD >137GB for this system? I'm unsure about the BIOS update from the website, if it supports the 48bit LBA for large(r) hard drives.

Solution
I have recently upgraded my Dell 2350 from a 2.2Ghz Celeron to a P4 2.6Ghz CPU. The dell documentation says it can take up to 2.5Ghz, but I believe that was the only speed that was available when the 2350 was produced. I believe that any 400Mhz FSB Northwood CPU up to 3 Ghz should run on it with no problems.

This is the eBay seller I bought the P4 2.6 from:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/christ1688/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

They always seem to have P4 2.6 in stock, and sometimes they sell P4 2.8Ghz as well, but they are rare. And Intel even custom made small quantities of P4 3.0 Ghz 400Mhz FSB Northwood for some manufacturers like Dell etc. But these P4 are very very rare, and Intel doesn't even provide any documentation about...

bql500

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I have recently upgraded my Dell 2350 from a 2.2Ghz Celeron to a P4 2.6Ghz CPU. The dell documentation says it can take up to 2.5Ghz, but I believe that was the only speed that was available when the 2350 was produced. I believe that any 400Mhz FSB Northwood CPU up to 3 Ghz should run on it with no problems.

This is the eBay seller I bought the P4 2.6 from:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/christ1688/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

They always seem to have P4 2.6 in stock, and sometimes they sell P4 2.8Ghz as well, but they are rare. And Intel even custom made small quantities of P4 3.0 Ghz 400Mhz FSB Northwood for some manufacturers like Dell etc. But these P4 are very very rare, and Intel doesn't even provide any documentation about them. I've seen some P4 3.0 on eBay, some sell for as much as $100. RARE.

But you can find info about them here(there are 2 model numbers):

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL6YH.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL74Q.html

Regarding not being able to turn off your onboard video with the BIOS, upgrade to the latest BIOS version A02(you will need a floppy drive), and you will get the option in the bios to switch to "auto"(autodetect PCI video card).

Have fun. :)

Solution
Thanks bql500.

I went ahead and bought a iP4 2.5GHZ 400Mhz 512K 478 pin CPU for $26.00.

Shoulda waited, to see how high I could push it for little $.

Did you have to set up the bios for the new chip, or did it do it by itself?

And my BIOS is set to "AUTO" for the onboard video.

duk3: A system build is not currently in my budget, sorry.

Updated 03/25/2010 @ 12:15 MDST:

R'cd and installed the Pentium 4 2.5GHZ / 512K /400 FSB. Went seemlessly! BIOS auto detected it, running @ 2.5GHz.

Not to advertise, but I got it from www.StarMicro.com, from a link from www.PriceWatch.com.

Make sure you get the right FBS. Mine is 400MHz, others (newer) are 533, or more.

lemuelcastro

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi foscooter,
I have a dell dimension 2350. It has never been updated in any way at all, except i put a new sound card in one of the PCI slots. Other then that, it's exactly the same as when it was shipped brand new from dell. I would prefer to replace it all together but can not afford a new computer at the moment. So my point being, I was wondering if you would take me through step by step everything you did to yours to upgrade it. If so, please contact me at lemuel.castro67@yahoo.com. Any advice or instruction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.