[SOLVED] Can i upgrade my Graphic Card? Recommendation

Mar 30, 2020
Hi everyone,

So I want to do a little upgrade on my computer, i would like to spend around 250€ and, like a guy who doesn't understand that much of pcs, immediately think in upgrade my gpu.
My questions are:
1 - With my motherboard model can i upgrade to any gpu or am i limited to a certain model (a friend told me that the only one available for my motherboard model was a GTX 1050 ti)
2- Wich one you recommend?

PC specs:
-GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)
-Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Socket 942)
-RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz
-Operating System: Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit
-CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 32nm Technology
-SPU info: 1Life ps:jet 600W 120mm
-Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC
-Water Cooler | Masterliquid lite 120 - cooler master

Solution
Hi everyone,

So I want to do a little upgrade on my computer, i would like to spend around 250€ and, like a guy who doesn't understand that much of pcs, immediately think in upgrade my gpu.
My questions are:
1 - With my motherboard model can i upgrade to any gpu or am i limited to a certain model (a friend told me that the only one available for my motherboard model was a GTX 1050 ti)

PC specs:
-Water...
Hi everyone,

My questions are:

PC specs:
-Water Cooler | Masterliquid lite 120 - cooler master

Hi,

so firstly yes you can upgrade your GPU, a 750ti is pretty old so lots of faster options available.

With regard to "only options available for your motherboard" - that isn't accurate although I get where your friend was coming from. The slot on your motherboard will take any graphics card you want to throw into it. However what I think your friend meant is there isn't much point going higher than a 1050ti, as anything much faster than that would be held back by the FX 8320 cpu (what is called a 'cpu bottleneck').

What effectively happens is the CPU has to send the data to the graphics card, when you pair a really fast graphics card with a slow cpu all that happens is the graphics card sits waiting to get data and so fps doesn't go up.

I would say with your cpu there are a few graphics cards worth a look all around that performance range:
As your friend suggestd the GTX 1050ti would be worth a look. The newer GTX 1650 and 1650 Super cards are also worth a look. On the AMD side the RX 570 and 580 cards, as well as the newer RX 5500 series cards are also worth looking at (all these cards are in a similar performance bracket and quite a big boost from the 750ti). There isn't much point going for anything faster than these cards though (unless you want to get the fastest card you can now with a view to upgrading the cpu, motherboard and ram later) as faster cards won't get you any more performance in games due to the cpu.

Solution

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
You can upgrade your GPU to anything because your motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot. I would recommend only getting a 1050ti though like your friend said because if you basically get anything better your CPU probably can't handle it. So, if you want something like an RTX 2060 for better gaming performance, for example, I would recommend upgrading your CPU, motherboard, and ram first.

Reactions: cdrkf
Mar 30, 2020
You can upgrade your GPU to anything because your motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot. I would recommend only getting a 1050ti though like your friend said because if you basically get anything better your CPU probably can't handle it. So, if you want something like an RTX 2060 for better gaming performance, for example, I would recommend upgrading your CPU, motherboard, and ram first.
Hi,

so firstly yes you can upgrade your GPU, a 750ti is pretty old so lots of faster options available.

With regard to "only options available for your motherboard" - that isn't accurate although I get where your friend was coming from. The slot on your motherboard will take any graphics card you want to throw into it. However what I think your friend meant is there isn't much point going higher than a 1050ti, as anything much faster than that would be held back by the FX 8320 cpu (what is called a 'cpu bottleneck').

What effectively happens is the CPU has to send the data to the graphics card, when you pair a really fast graphics card with a slow cpu all that happens is the graphics card sits waiting to get data and so fps doesn't go up.

I would say with your cpu there are a few graphics cards worth a look all around that performance range:
As your friend suggestd the GTX 1050ti would be worth a look. The newer GTX 1650 and 1650 Super cards are also worth a look. On the AMD side the RX 570 and 580 cards, as well as the newer RX 5500 series cards are also worth looking at (all these cards are in a similar performance bracket and quite a big boost from the 750ti). There isn't much point going for anything faster than these cards though (unless you want to get the fastest card you can now with a view to upgrading the cpu, motherboard and ram later) as faster cards won't get you any more performance in games due to the cpu.

Thanks for your answers!
I get basically is not worth for me to upgrade for a super beast GPU if my cpu cant handle it and if its not the same "quality", basically it would be a waste.

The thing is, now I have like a gift card that i need to spend in like 2 or 3 weeks and i would like to do the best i upgrade on my PC with that money (320€ but already looking for a better psu). Can I know your opinion? Im don't understand much of computers and i really don't know what should be my next step

Thanks again for your time

Thanks for your answers!
I get basically is not worth for me to upgrade for a super beast GPU if my cpu cant handle it and if its not the same "quality", basically it would be a waste.

The thing is, now I have like a gift card that i need to spend in like 2 or 3 weeks and i would like to do the best i upgrade on my PC with that money (320€ but already looking for a better psu). Can I know your opinion? Im don't understand much of computers and i really don't know what should be my next step

Thanks again for your time

Ok, for that money I think what I would be looking at is:
- A decent quality PSU (something like a Corsair CX 600 would be a good option)
- A new mid range gpu, GTX 1650 Super or AMD RX 580 would be best options I think
- A decent SSD

You should have enough for all 3 - the SSD is a real quality of life improvement over that HDD (will improve windows boot and game loading times), whilst the new PSU + Graphics card should give you a frame rate boost in games. Those two graphics cards are both capable of handling all current games at 1080p, high to ultra settings no issue at ~ 60fps.

Mar 30, 2020
Ok, for that money I think what I would be looking at is:
  • A decent quality PSU (something like a Corsair CX 600 would be a good option)
  • A new mid range gpu, GTX 1650 Super or AMD RX 580 would be best options I think
  • A decent SSD

You should have enough for all 3 - the SSD is a real quality of life improvement over that HDD (will improve windows boot and game loading times), whilst the new PSU + Graphics card should give you a frame rate boost in games. Those two graphics cards are both capable of handling all current games at 1080p, high to ultra settings no issue at ~ 60fps.
Thanks a lot! Im gonna take a better look but probably i will get the gtx 1650 i am a little afraid about what my friend told me xD Are u sure that i can put that on my mother board and stuff? i just don't want to order it and cant "install it". (sorry about these questions, is the first time I'm changing something on computer so this is all new to me).

Other question, just curiosity cause i really want to learn and understand, whats de difference between the psu that u told me (Corsair CX 600) to the one i got rn (1Life ps:jet 600W 120mm ) the watts are the same right?

Last question, what is a "decent" sad? what should i look for? And the sad only improves the speed of load of windows and games right? do not improve "gaming" right?

Thanks for patience hahaha

Thanks a lot! Im gonna take a better look but probably i will get the gtx 1650 i am a little afraid about what my friend told me xD Are u sure that i can put that on my mother board and stuff? i just don't want to order it and cant "install it". (sorry about these questions, is the first time I'm changing something on computer so this is all new to me).

Other question, just curiosity cause i really want to learn and understand, whats de difference between the psu that u told me (Corsair CX 600) to the one i got rn (1Life ps:jet 600W 120mm ) the watts are the same right?

Last question, what is a "decent" sad? what should i look for? And the sad only improves the speed of load of windows and games right? do not improve "gaming" right?

Thanks for patience hahaha

Firstly, yes there would be no problem installing a GTX 1650 in your machine - just keep in mind there are a few version of the GTX 1650....

The GTX 1650 with GDDR 5 memory (the original)
The GTX 1650 with GDDR 6 memory (updated version, about 15% faster than orig)
the GTX 1650 Super (next tier up in performance, about 40% faster than a base 1650).

I would suggest the 1650 Super of the three if you can afford it as it's much more powerful whilst not costing much more (typically it's only an extra 20 or so).

With regard to the power supply it's a complicated subject. What it comes down to is that there are lots of really cheap poor quality units about that are sold with high sounding power numbers however they can't actually output that amount of power and are typically produced with poor components and no protection circuits. These work well enough in low power office tasks but can often fail under heavy load (e.g. gaming) especially with higher end components, and due to the lack of protection methods can often kill other components in the machine when they fail (e.g. motherboard, graphics card or cpu). I looked up your supply and I can't find any info about it anywhere other than a post that looks like it was written by the manufacturer....

This thread on Toms goes into some advice on what to look for with a PSU:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...t-to-avoid-and-psu-discussion-thread.3212332/

This is the Toms official buyers guide to PSU in 2020:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Your supply might be fine- I can't find it on any of the lists (as either good or bad) - as it's really not very well known I'm not sure I'd trust it though. The Corsair CX series aren't top of the range, but they fall into the "good enough" camp where they are reliable and safe to use with most mid range builds without costing a fortune (no point spending 300 on a psu to power a 100 gpu for example). The new PSU won't improve performance, it can help with stability though (poor quality PSU can lead to crashes under load due to poor regulation), allow for better overclocks and are generally safer to use (as they include lots of safety measures in the event the unit fails the rest of your machine should be ok).

logainofhades

Titan