[SOLVED] Can I upgrade my Hp 255 G7 laptop network card with a better one?

fra9618

Prominent
May 7, 2020
As the subject says; can I upgrade my Hp 255 G7 laptop network card with a better one?

I have a 1000 Mbit/s fiber connection and, my flatmate with his pc reaches 500 Mbit/s either download or upload and I reach 49Mbit/s either download or upload.

Specifications:

Motherboard model:84AC
" chipset: K15IMC
Ram 8GB ddr4
GPU: AMD Radeon R3 (integrated on the CPU)
SSD:256 GB
CPU: AMD A4-9125 from 2.3Ghz to 2.6
network card: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
network card IP: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_84AC103C&REV_15
IDProduct:7DB74EA#ABZ

Solution
Presuming it's the Ethernet adapter you meant:

Try your flatmate's cable with your laptop, and see if that made any difference.

If it does, try the same but change the router-side port to the one you'd normally use.

If it's still fast, what you probably need is a higher quality (and if possible shorter) ethernet cable.

If it's as before, check if your router had another 1Gbps port and try that instead.

If there's only one 1Gbps port on the router - which your mate is using - then you need a new router with more than one.

If there's another 1Gbps port, but not as fast as the other, then check for any restrictive QoS or bandwidth limit settings on the router, which might be port-based in this case.

If it's always as slow as it is...

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021

Try your flatmate's cable with your laptop, and see if that made any difference.

If it does, try the same but change the router-side port to the one you'd normally use.

If it's still fast, what you probably need is a higher quality (and if possible shorter) ethernet cable.

If it's as before, check if your router had another 1Gbps port and try that instead.

If there's only one 1Gbps port on the router - which your mate is using - then you need a new router with more than one.

If there's another 1Gbps port, but not as fast as the other, then check for any restrictive QoS or bandwidth limit settings on the router, which might be port-based in this case.

If it's always as slow as it is right now with any combination of cable or port configuration, then you could also check for router QoS setting, which could also be IP and MAC(i.e. device)-based, or borrow a good 1Gbps USB network card from someone, and try again with that instead.

Solution

fra9618

Prominent
May 7, 2020

If it's always as slow as it is right now with any combination of cable or port configuration, then you could also check for router QoS setting, which could also be IP and MAC(i.e. device)-based, or borrow a good 1Gbps USB network card from someone, and try again with that instead.

Nope, I was meaning the wi-fi. If I use the ethernet cable my connection is just a bit faster but doesn't reach 3 or 5 hundred such as my flatmate. Although I'm using an ethernet cable!

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Nope, I was meaning the wi-fi. If I use the ethernet cable my connection is just a bit faster but doesn't reach 3 or 5 hundred such as my flatmate. Although I'm using an ethernet cable!

Was your wifi ever faster than, say, 150Mbps, on any network?

Get closer to the router and try again - If that doesn't help, then make sure you are actually connected to the 5Ghz network, instead of the 2.4GHz one retained for compatibility and coverage in most wifi routers.

If that still doesn't help, check the router for QoS settings which might have restricted your bandwidth.

If there's none of that, then borrow a known-good external wifi adapter with at least 802.11ac and try again.

fra9618

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Was your wifi ever faster than, say, 150Mbps, on any network?

Get closer to the router and try again - If that doesn't help, then make sure you are actually connected to the 5Ghz network, instead of the 2.4GHz one retained for compatibility and coverage in most wifi routers.

If that still doesn't help, check the router for QoS settings which might have restricted your bandwidth.

If there's none of that, then borrow a known-good external wifi adapter with at least 802.11ac and try again.
I did and checked everything you told me, but nothing works.
So, after being next to the router and checked that I'm connected to 5GHz I think that the problem is my network card. And yes, my flatmate reaches 500 Mbit/s of download all the time, and his pc and network card are quite better than mine. Since I don't know anybody that has it, as you said, the only solution is to buy an external USB network card.

What does 802.11ac mean?

Will this adapter be enough good? I don't have so much budget, unfortunately.....
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00K11UIV4/ref=twister_B089BKLF4L?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I did and checked everything you told me, but nothing works.
So, after being next to the router and checked that I'm connected to 5GHz I think that the problem is my network card. And yes, my flatmate reaches 500 Mbit/s of download all the time, and his pc and network card are quite better than mine. Since I don't know anybody that has it, as you said, the only solution is to buy an external USB network card.

What does 802.11ac mean?

Will this adapter be enough good? I don't have so much budget, unfortunately.....
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00K11UIV4/ref=twister_B089BKLF4L?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

802.11ac is a specific protocol for 5GHz WiFi network, which both your current adapter, and the one you are looking at, supported.

Both have comparable specifications, and both are supposed to be much faster than mere 49Mbps on 5GHz.

A straight replacement is only going to help if the only problem was with your internal adapter, thus my recommendation to try, if at all possible, before any such purchase.

fra9618

Prominent
May 7, 2020
802.11ac is a specific protocol for 5GHz WiFi network, which both your current adapter, and the one you are looking at, supported.

Both have comparable specifications, and both are supposed to be much faster than mere 49Mbps on 5GHz.

A straight replacement is only going to help if the only problem was with your internal adapter, thus my recommendation to try, if at all possible, before any such purchase.
ok, thank you very much!