[SOLVED] Can I upgrade my Intel 4600 or install a Nvidia card to make my Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 MB compatible with Premiere Pro 2021?

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I would like to upgrade the graphics on my Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 MB so I no longer get the "Unsupported Video Driver" alert in Premiere Pro 2021. These are the relevant specs for my desktop tower (I built it myself, it's not an OEM).

Processor Intel Core i7 4770S - Haswell - Socket 1150 LGA

According to these specs these specs it is compatible with
Processors Pentium, Celeron, Core i5, Core i3, Core i7
and has these x16 expansion slots (among others):

1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 mode (x8 mode if PCI Express 3.0 x8 slot is occupied))
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x8 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode)

My question is, can I replace the Core i7 with something newer (is there a newer model that fits the socket)? (I believe this will not affect my Windows 10 registration, if I'm correct.)

If not, I was advised on the Intel Forum that "an older" Nvidia card might work, whatever that means, since no specifics were given. If I can go this route, which exact models do I need to look for? Why does it have to be an older model?

Thanks
Charles

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks. I'm not sure if the 4790K would be compatible. The Adobe recommended driver update does not support Haswell. Can you recommend a specific GPU manufacturer and model? I'm not familiar with these.

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Good to know my 5 year old build is now obsolete :) and I shouldn't waste any money on upgrading it.

So, my problem with building or purchasing a new PC tower, aside from what to buy that won't be obsolete in another 5 years, is how to transfer some software which is licensed to that PC and is too difficult to change. At least the programs in question are on an SSD hard drive with Windows 10 (not OEM), so if there is a way to move the drive as is to a new build I might consider it. But this question probably requires another separate question to be posted.

USAFRet

Titan
Good to know my 5 year old build is now obsolete :) and I shouldn't waste any money on upgrading it.

So, my problem with building or purchasing a new PC tower, aside from what to buy that won't be obsolete in another 5 years, is how to transfer some software which is licensed to that PC and is too difficult to change. At least the programs in question are on an SSD hard drive with Windows 10 (not OEM), so if there is a way to move the drive as is to a new build I might consider it. But this question probably requires another separate question to be posted.
A new system will almost certainly require a full OS reinstall.
Just moving the drive will probably result in tears.

The Windows license can probably be transferred, depending on where it came from.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Other software? Will need to be reinstalled with the new OS.
Case by case basis for the license.

I'm using a similar level PC (specs below), and it is not quite obsolete, yet. I don't use Premier Pro 2021, though.

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for all this. Premiere Pro is the only contentious issue - this is Adobe's fault, in my opinion, for not making their programs backwards compatible. I still use Premiere Pro 2019 without a problem, for now, until they stop supporting it. Otherwise, than Adobe's built-in warning that tower still performs like a rocket (and if I ignore the warning it seems to be OK anyway). I might just have to buy a second "Adobe only" computer at some point. Moving all of the other installations is way too difficult and time consuming (having done it many times before in the past) for just one program.

Charles

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
According to Adobe I CAN use one of these. Can you confirm if any of these will work in my motherboard?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4Gig
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4Gig
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6Gig

Thanks
Charles

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks. Can you recommend a power supply (that will fit of course) that I can use for the 2060. Should I get a newer Corsair model?

And, according to USAFret (see solved post above) "Your CPU and motherboard will not support that level of CPU. " So, who is correct? Can I use one of the Adobe recommended NVIDIA cards with an upgraded power supply, as you suggest?

System Requirements for Premier Pro:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html?promoid=91BF4XW1&mv=other

Last edited: