Can i upgrade my intel pentium 4 processor

G

Hello,
I've got a computer with an intel pentium 4 processor(2.4ghz) and a computer which doesn't work with a intel pentium 4 (3.2ghz) processor. I want to take the 3.2ghz one and replace it in my other computer. is this possible?

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello,
I've got a computer with an intel pentium 4 processor(2.4ghz) and a computer which doesn't work with a intel pentium 4 (3.2ghz) processor. I want to take the 3.2ghz one and replace it in my other computer. is this possible?

That's a big maybe. Two things:

1) Pentium 4s were in 2 form factors -- socket 478 and LGA775. The later pentium 4s had used the lga775; the earlier ones used socket 478. You cannot put a lga775 processor in a socket 478 motherboard.

2) Many motherboards -- particularly proprietary ones, such as those produced for Dell, HP, acer, gateway, Compaq, whatever have old bioses that don't support processors newer than those with which the system original shipped, even those of the same socket-type.

So given #1 and #2, we need to know what motherboard you have before we can make a recommendation as to whether you can upgrade the processor in the working system with a faster one.