can i upgrade my Laptop's Processor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2018
Hi guys i wish u can help me.
I want to upgrade this laptop to amd athlon x845 processor. Can I upgrade its Processor ? I. But still I want to upgrade its performance.
my laptop configuration :
Toshiba satelite L70 A 151
(i3 4000m , 6 gb . 1To .nvidia-740m )

and thnx :)

Solution

You can try it, just remember that there are no guarantees that it will work. There are usually videos on youtube on how to disassemble many laptops. To replace a CPU, you will have to pretty much take apart 80 to 90% of the machine.

You will need a method to keep track of what screws come from which holes as there are different lengths.
(Don't forget to double check your BIOS version and upgrade to the latest, if necessary. You can do this with CPUz, on the mainboard tab and compare...

It's not really worth upgrading. Laptops aren't meant to be upgraded with CPUs and GPUs. Sometimes they can be, but you'd have to learn how to do it yourself, and since you didn't know you can't swap an Intel CPU for an AMD on a laptop, I wouldn't trust you to do it. Then you'd have to pay someone to do it and that would be more money spent. I doubt the GPU can be upgraded, but even if it was able to it would cost even more to have someone remove it and install a different one, not to mention the costs of the GPU. So, after it would all be said and done you'd be well on your way to spending what a new, better computer would have cost.

On the up side, the CPU appears to be socketed, instead of soldered, which means there is a possibility for an upgrade. The best way to find it would be to search and find out what CPU options were available for that laptop was new, this will give the best possibility of the CPU cooler being able to handle the upgraded CPUs heat and for the BIOS to accept the new CPU. OEM's are infamous for restricting CPU's to only the ones they want to offer.

Here is Intel's product page for your CPU:
https://ark.intel.com/products/75104/Intel-Core-i3-4000M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_40-GHz

From what I've read, here is a list of CPU"s that fit that socket:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_G3.html
But as I said, the BIOS might not accept a CPU that Toshiba never offered.

When you pick a CPU, the next step is to see if Toshiba offered it or if someone else might have successfully upgraded to it. In other words, you have a lot of research to do before buying anything.

Once you have found the proper upgrade, make sure the BIOS are at the latest version, as manufacturers often add stability fixes in BIOS updates and it might help with the upgrade being successful.

Upgrading a laptop is much more complicated than a desktop as the design is much more proprietary. You are lucky that it's socketed though, my laptop has it's CPU soldered in...

npiet1

Proper
Aug 3, 2018

While it should work. I as the above guy heavily don't recommend doing it, if you haven't got a lot of IT experience's. Laptops are a lot harder to upgrade. To upgrade the Laptop you'll have to take most of it apart. Its not like ram when you pop a cover off and just swap. How much experience do you have with ribbon cables?

You can try it, just remember that there are no guarantees that it will work. There are usually videos on youtube on how to disassemble many laptops. To replace a CPU, you will have to pretty much take apart 80 to 90% of the machine.

You will need a method to keep track of what screws come from which holes as there are different lengths.
(Don't forget to double check your BIOS version and upgrade to the latest, if necessary. You can do this with CPUz, on the mainboard tab and compare it to the version on Toshiba's website.)

You will need:
A set of small phillips head screwdrivers
A non-metallic, thin, wedge tool to pry the case apart
Isotropic alcohol (The higher the concentrate the better, this is to clean the old thermal paste.)
A good thermal paste, I use and recommend Arctic MX-4. (This will be used on both the CPU and GPU)

There will be a lot of cables, you might want to use a camera to take pictures of how they are run and were things are, as you go. Also remember that if you try to remove something and it's not going, look over it carefully, you may have missed a screw. Most things should separate fairly easily, only the case itself should put up much resistance.

The first laptop I took apart like this took me over 2 hours, because I took it very slow and was methodical. Leave yourself plenty of time and I can't stress enough, keep track of everything and it's place.

It takes a lot of work and patience for this type of upgrade, but it can add some longevity to the laptop, if successful.

Note: They have that CPU on eBay for around $70 used. I've bought about a dozen used CPU's from eBay now and have had no problems.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Core+i7-4702MQ&_sacat=0

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS