Question Can I upgrade my PC for better performance?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
I have an Asus PC that I use mainly for photo editing. My programs are mostly LR and PS, but I use Corel Painter and Capture 1 Pro. Anyway my PC starts up using over 30% ram then after a short time using spot healing brush or something similar the ram goes up to 75-80% at which point the program gets very unstable and slow. My PC apparently doesn't have any ram expansion slots and I think I read it can't go over the current 16gb of ram. So is there anyway I can upgrade my existing PC or do I need to bite the bullet and get a new one? Here is my system specs.

PCSSTATS.JPG

pcDrives.JPG

Drive C: and D: are on the SSD that was supplied. I have too many images for it so I added the internal E: drive and it's were my working images reside. It is not an SSD drive. My Lightroom catalogs are on G: which is an external SSD. So as you can see if I tried to keep my working images, LR catalogs, OS, and Programs all on one internal drive would use nearly 3TB with no head room at all. I need to come up with a solution that will allow the program to continue to run all day without constant reboots to get the performance back.

That's the most beautiful user-posted photos of their build that I have seen! Nice job! No keystoning. Fixed in software?

Considering the main use for the system was photo editing, quality of the pictures is not very odd. But that makes them no less nice.

Once I was driving by a place that had this beautifully done sign, and all it said was "We moved to ... address". I thought, wow, all that work to make a nice sign just to say you moved. Then I noticed that the place that moved was a company that made signs LOL

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
That's the most beautiful user-posted photos of their build that I have seen! Nice job! No keystoning. Fixed in software?

Thanks! When I do work like this I use LR profile corrections for lens distortion and if I didn't get it square in camera I'll use transforming to correct. I ended up using a zoom lens for this which, depending on focal length can have some distortion. Normally I'd use a prime lens but my studio had other stuff going on and I was crammed for space.

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
Wow wow wow, now that's a sexy stock photo if i've ever seen one lol.

I can see how the side mounting would have heat issues, considering that there is prolly a lack of airflow over the fans and more airflow over the backplate.
Tbh, that side mount really tidies things up, personally I'd just deal with the heat if it's gonna look that good lol.

Yeah I know, I love the look the way it is. Thank again for your help Max!

sruddy

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
I keep getting the blue screen of death. The stop codes are different. last one is DRIVER_IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL. I haven't updated the bios or intel ME but have updated the following.

• LAN
  • Utilities
  • Chipset
  • SATA
  • GPU