Can i upgrade my pc processor 800 mhz to 2gb or later

gasparina

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
i have a pentium III processor 800MHZ and 128 SRAM 30GB hard drive and can i upgrated to processor 2GB or later, 512SRAM and hard disk 200 MB or later? What i need to do.

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Obviously this is going from an ancient build to an old build, but I think it's doable. The first thing you need to find out is your motherboard brand and model, so that we can see if these upgrades are even possible (though I think it is likely). I would definitely scrounge the parts it if that's the route you want to take but I wouldn't spend any serious money on this project.

Processor:
That p3 is socket 370 right? Assuming your motherboard supports it you can get up to a 1.4Ghz p3 or celeron on ebay or craigslist for a few bucks that should work. So not in the 2ghz range, but it will be an improvement of sorts. Way back in the day I upgraded from a Duron 800 to an Athlon 1400 and it made a world of difference. Might need a bios update on your motherboard. Also again depending on your motherboard you might be able to bump up the multipliers and overclock it even further.

RAM:
Get as much as your board will support. It's going to be hard to find cheap pc133 though. Forget any modern web browsing if you can't get at least 512mb or more, 1gb or more is ideal.

Hard drive:
Might be an issue depending on how large a drive it will recognize and what OS you are running, but it should be fine. I can't imagine a pair of 120gb drives not working. Make sure they're ATA