Can i upgrade my power supply?

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017
So i originally thought that my Dell Precision T1650 came with the 320 psu but upon further inspection it appears it is the 275watt at only 65% efficiency.

i was wondering if i could just upgrade to a normal power supply that isnt from dell (like a corsair or evga one) or is the 320 watt as high as i can go?
page 14 and 15 might help- https://www.manualslib.com/manual/624303/Dell-Precision...

Solution
*** ok, ok, you two, geez, take a deep breath. your so way off topic its not funny.

the Original Poster needs a good power supply without, the never ending debate about PSU teirs.
The CX500M is a solid power supply for the pre build computer he has, its been running on a 65% 270w PSu for years
All he is adding to this system is a 1050ti in it, the CX500M will be more than sufficient for his needs. Period.

It looks like Dell sold these with a rubbish power supply and the option to upgrade to a decent one.
http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell_Precision_T1650_Spec_Sheet.pdf

Dell generally won't list compatibility information for 3rd party components. Most likely they used a PS2 power supply and you should be able to replace it, but there are no guarantees. I suggest measuring the existing power supply height and width to see if it matches other supplies. The replacement supply can be longer, just check that there will be room in the case for the supply and cables.

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017

not sure if this is useful but i found this and was wondering if you knew what it was?
NOTE: These form factors utilize a more efficient Active Power Factor Correction (APFC) power supply. Dell recommends only Universal Power
Supplies (UPS) based on Sine Wave output for APFC PSUs, not an approximation of a Sine Wave, Square Wave, or quasi-Square Wave. If you
have questions, please contact the manufacture to confirm the output type
(was from this link https://www.manualslib.com/manual/624303/Dell-Precision-T1650.html?page=14#manual)

Any decent power supply will have APFC and be at least 80% efficient (80 plus rating). It is likely that the 65% efficient supply does not have APFC.
APFC is not a Dell special feature.
There are no special requirements for using an APFC supply. You don't have to use a UPS, but if you do then any modern UPS for use with computers will be designed with APFC power supplies in mind.
Any new power supply you purchase with an 80 plus rating will have APFC.
Look for something from tier 3 or higher on this list, preferable tier 1 or 2.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017

I know this isnt on the list but i'd rather get it from an actual shop so its easier to return just in case it doesnt work
but will Corsair CX550M 550W Semi-Modular ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply work?
also thank you for all your help so far

1. found a tech specs with interesting information regarding video card upgrading: max 75w video card power) http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell_Precision_T1650_Spec_Sheet.pdf

2. Service manual for your computer is found : http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t1650_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

According to the information I have read, your system is supporting ATX style Power Supply, So should not be a single problem replacing it with a more modern one, but again I swill assume you are looking to replace it because you want to use a newer video card. make sure you read the #1 bullet I listed, as Dell does limit how powerful a video card you can run on it. (i.e. Max 75w), so any 80+ Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum will do the trick, I think a 550w will probably be sufficient for most cards you will want to install.

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017

yeah i was looking to put a 1050ti in to it which requires the 75 watts.
just wanted to be safe about (NOTE: These form factors utilize a more efficient Active Power Factor Correction (APFC) power supply. Dell recommends only Universal Power
Supplies (UPS) based on Sine Wave output for APFC PSUs, not an approximation of a Sine Wave, Square Wave, or quasi-Square Wave. ) this

A UPS is a uninterruptible power supply. This is not the power supply in your computer. It is an external device which will continue to provide power if the mains is interrupted. If you are not using a UPS, this note is not relevant to you. If you are using a UPS, it should be something designed specifically for computer equipment.

The PCI-E slot is only ever rated at 75W. Cards that use more than this have PCI-E power connectors (6-pin or 8-pin connector from the PSU), so with an appropriate power supply you could use cards rated higher than 75W.

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017

Ok. thank you for all your help and i will nip into town and pick up an atx power supply.

I missed your comment on buying the Corsair CX550M. It is on the list, the Corsair CX series are listed as tier 4. You could lookup a detailed review to see why it was given a poor rating, but I would stay away from it.

Corsair CS series are tier 3. In general Corsair aren't great value.
Cheaper models of XFX or Seasonic supplies are generally a good buy. Antec High Current Gamer series are good too.

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017

having a look at what shops in my city sell, the best one is the Corsair RM550x. its tier three but considering i dont want to overclock and just want a 1050ti i'm not exactly going to be coming anywhere near to the 550 watts it offers.
Thank you for your help

Read the label on the Dell PSU (which is NOT rubbish). Look at the rating of the 5V. rail. Some Dells use this a lot more than other computers. Make sure that what you get is equal there. EVGA is good about this. The 1050TI should run just fine on that PSU. Dell PSUs are built to be dependable, and power all the slots and bays in the matching computer. They perform very well when actually tested against other PSUs. i would go with the 320W Dell. You probably have the 270W because the computer came with a lower Wattage CPU. The 320W would have been used in the i7 or 4 core Xeon machines. That's where the "misisng" power would go. The GPU should be OK with what you have as long as you get one w/o the 6 pin connector. I would buy the GPU and run it as is. Buy a PSU only if needed. You probably couldn't overload the Dell PSU if you tried. It doesn't have enough connectors to do it.

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017

I actually have the i7 3770 with the 270W. I also would absolutely buy the dell 320W one if i could but i could only find one for sale which was a second hand ebay one. i'll read the label though and ensure the new one matches.
also while the 270W would probably be enough to run the 1050ti and rest of the pc at 65% I doubt the stability of it

Dell sells millions of computers to businesses. Their reputation and business success is based on reliability. You have a workstation model that's intended for harder then normal office type use. The old Dell 305W PSUs from Optiplexes when tested usually produce 400W, and don't catch fire when intentionally overloaded. They just shut down to protect everything. IF you manage to overload that PSU it won't become "unstable" it will just turn itself off. There aren't enough connectors on that PSU to overload it if you wanted to. There is a concept in engineering called a "load factor". You figure out exactly what's required and then build it X times stronger than required. This is how reliability and safety is assured. If you think you need to buy a PSU go ahead. But get one at least 150W bigger than the Dell or you're wasting your money.

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017

thanks for the advice. i was looking at the Corsair RM550x because its suits all my needs and i dont have to buy it offline just in case it doesn't fit or work.

Dell specifies the 275W PSU at 65% efficient. That is rubbish. It is a very old design. Likely the 275W and 320W PSUs came from different manufacturers.
Corsair RM550x should be fine if that is what you have available.

Note that some models of GeForce GTX 1050 Ti require a 6-pin PCI-E power connector.
What you need is a good quality supply 360W or greater with a rating of at least 24A on the +12V rail and an available 6-pin PCI-E power connector.
Are any of these models available?
Seasonic S12II 430
Seasonic S12G 450
Seasonic G 360

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

Completely wrong. The Corsair CXM grey label is better than all those PSUs you mentioned. I think you're the one that needs to look at detailed reviews, not some rubbish tier list made by a random without updates for the past year.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770.html

The list is useful, and I'm not going to read a detailed review for every supply suggested by someone on the forums. It is up to the buyer to read a review if they want or they can use the list as a guide.

Fair call that I was looking at the CX series rather than the CXM series. Different series from a manufacturer and even different wattage supplies in the same series can be completely different. Corsair in particular is prone to this because they don't manufacture their own supplies and source them from a number of different manufacturers.

Looking at reviews from JonnyGuru on the CX750M and CX750M V2, they are reasonable. The V2 model is better, with significantly better scores for performance and build quality than the V1.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=416
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=486
Of course it is possible the 550W model is not the same quality but these reviews are the closest indication I can find at the moment.

That's certainly not to say it is better than the supplies I suggested. I don't know where you get that from. These are top quality supplies. Here are some reviews for some supplies in the same series:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=185
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=323

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

For one to read and understand a PSU review, they must understand how power supplies work. Which is why some people ask about PSUs on the forums, to ask someone who does understand the reviews.

Those reviews you linked are a different platform. The Corsair CX450M, CX550M, and CX650M are better. Not sure how you couldn't find any better reviews, but here are some:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770.html
https://tweakers.net/productreview/136105/corsair-cx450m.html

Reading the conclusion isn't reading the review. All the 'Scoring" page tells is the relative performance and quality at the time and situation, which for that Seasonic unit was 7 years ago. The scoring made 7 years ago is worthless.

The Seasonic S12ii is group regulated, which isn't ideal for modern builds due to the CPU + GPU using 12V. It offers poor protections and overall the unit is mediocre for a modern system. Even though OP's system isn't new, the Corsair CXM grey labels still out perform the S12ii and have better protections.

I'm not saying the S12ii is a poor choice, though usually the CXM grey labelled units (and other better units such as Be Quiet Pure Power 10) can be found at a similar price.

I linked the scoring pages, the rest of the review is there if you want. The scoring pages are a good summary from the reviewer, who certainly knows a lot more about this than we do. This is where they summarise any issues found.
The S12II is an older platform than the G or S12G series. The combined +12V rails are rated at 360W, so there are better 400W-450W supplies around but the performance and quality are very good for the price and it is more than capable of powering a typical system with a graphics card up to 120W.
All these supplies have typical protection features as far as I can see. From the Seasonic website "Protection Features: OPP, OVP, SCP, UVP".
The current model is the S12II Bronze. The older 80 plus rated series was discontinued some time ago. This is the model in the review from JonnyGuru and listed on the Seasonic website.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
I literally just mentioned those scoring pages are irrelevant and not a good summary anymore. Those units were good 7 years ago, though technology has changed and group regulation isn't ideal for systems nowadays. The performance was very good, now since relativity has changed, it is merely okay.

It lacks OCP and OTP and some protections it does have aren't very good.

And I've said that the scoring pages are a good summary of any issues found by the reviewer, but the rest of the review is there if you like.
I haven't seen anything to suggest that the overall standard of supplies has changed at all in that time period. There are more efficient units available than there were, but there are just as many units that don't meet basic standards.
The requirements certainly haven't changed in that time. A single GPU system built 7 years ago had exactly the same power requirements as a system built today, with the exception of some new sleep states. If a unit was good quality 7 years ago, a unit built today to the same design is still just as good if manufactured today.
I'm not sure who you are trying to convince or why. The OP will find all of the supplies I suggested suitable or the ones he found himself will be fine as well.

*** ok, ok, you two, geez, take a deep breath. your so way off topic its not funny.

the Original Poster needs a good power supply without, the never ending debate about PSU teirs.
The CX500M is a solid power supply for the pre build computer he has, its been running on a 65% 270w PSu for years
All he is adding to this system is a 1050ti in it, the CX500M will be more than sufficient for his needs. Period.

Solution