Question Can I upgrade my processor ?

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
Hi All,

Question here..........I have a Lenovo Sharkbay all-in-one desktop computer.

My processor is a Intel Pentium G3220T 2. 60 GHz

I'm having problems when I use the Zoom app freezing up. Can I upgrade this computer? If so what processor would I buy, I can't afford a new computer so any upgrades I can do is better. Thanks.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Hi All,

I'm having problems when I use the Zoom app freezing up. Can I update this computer? If so what processor would I buy, I can't afford a new computer so any update I can do is better. Thanks.
Download CPU-Z - https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html .
You'll have to click on SETUP - English, download it, and then run it up.

Then go to Mainboard and tell us the model of your motherboard. :)

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
10 year old AllInOne systems are not good candidates for 'upgrade'.

And it may not be the CPU at all.

How much RAM, what drive is the OS on, how much gunk is running in the background, etc, etc.
The RAM on my system on Win11 goes up to 8 GB simply by booting up, loading the drivers and the few lightweight utilities that adhere them.

Let's say he has Windows 10 and a lot of software installed and a lot of software that goes on when it boots up. If he has anything under 8 GB RAM that would obviously underlie performance staggering. He may even have 2 or 4 GB RAM in which case a memory upgrade would be most feasible.

I had a friend a long time ago with Windows XP and 512 MB RAM. The maximum amount of RAM his motherboard supported was 2 GB. He had a Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz (Northwood) and ATI 2600 (I think). I told him to update. Firstly, following my advice, he got 1 GB DDR 400 MHz (his motherboard supported a maximum of 2x1 GB RAM). The difference was so huge and inexplicable he almost immediately upgraded to 2 GB. As I'd told him, it proved true that the difference could only be measured in lightyears... We're talking 20-30 times faster performance; but then-again that should obviously be expected as the thing that kills performance best is low RAM. Put an i9-13900KS with 8 GB RAM and watch it stagger....

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Hi All,

I'm having problems when I use the Zoom app freezing up. Can I update this computer? If so what processor would I buy, I can't afford a new computer so any update I can do is better. Thanks.
How much RAM does the system retain? Is it running on an SSD or a Hard Disk?

The Pentium G3220T can run Windows 10 pretty well if w/ 8 GB RAM or more and an SSD as the main drive on which Windows is installed.

You can watch videos, do minor editing and rendering, play games like Crysis 1 and 2 (if you haven't an integrated GPU but something like a Radeon HD 5770/6770 or GeForce GTX 550Ti and above). You can edit Word documents and do basically all kinds of Office and statistical work and use more complex programs if they are well written.
It would be a low-end system, but it would still run well if there aren't any viruses and that the drives are neat and the software is installed properly and well.

So I don't think the CPU should really be the main problem for Zoom!

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Ok, thanks
You should keep in mind that there's always the possibility the CPU upgrade may not work out. So do keep that in mind, just in case. You should check the type and speed of your RAM. If you have 2 slots and only one 8 GB stick, you may get another 8 GB stick so you'll have a total of 16 GB. Even if you have 2 slots and each of them retains 4 GB RAM, you may still get 8 GB more and end up with 12 GB in total. However, do keep in mind that the RAM type and speed must match the RAM you currently have installed. If you have not got an SSD, make sure to get one and that Windows is installed on it.

I hope that something like a Core i7-4790 ought to work with your motherboard, but do keep in mind that there's always the possibility it might not. However, getting an SSD (and installing Windows on it) and updating the RAM will add a lot of power to the computer, especially the SSD. But do keep in mind to make sure all the components you get are compatible with the computer and do know that there's the possibility you might purchase a particular component and it might not end up working within the system; so do make fully sure your hardware supports what you'll be getting. :)

USAFRet

Titan
I hope that something like a Core i7-4790 ought to work with your motherboard, but do keep in mind that there's always the possibility it might not. However, getting an SSD (and installing Windows on it) and updating the RAM will add a lot of power to the computer, especially the SSD. But do keep in mind to make sure all the components you get are compatible with the computer and do know that there's the possibility you might purchase a particular component and it might not end up working within the system; so do make fully sure your hardware supports what you'll be getting.
Given that this is a 10 year old AllInOne, the cooling situation may not be good enough for a better CPU.
And the BIOS may not be compatible.

I would look at a CPU change as the very last option to pursue.

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
You should keep in mind that there's always the possibility the CPU upgrade may not work out. So do keep that in mind, just in case. You should check the type and speed of your RAM. If you have 2 slots and only one 8 GB stick, you may get another 8 GB stick so you'll have a total of 16 GB. Even if you have 2 slots and each of them retains 4 GB RAM, you may still get 8 GB more and end up with 12 GB in total. However, do keep in mind that the RAM type and speed must match the RAM you currently have installed. If you have not got an SSD, make sure to get one and that Windows is installed on it.

I hope that something like a Core i7-4790 ought to work with your motherboard, but do keep in mind that there's always the possibility it might not. However, getting an SSD (and installing Windows on it) and updating the RAM will add a lot of power to the computer, especially the SSD. But do keep in mind to make sure all the components you get are compatible with the computer and do know that there's the possibility you might purchase a particular component and it might not end up working within the system; so do make fully sure your hardware supports what you'll be getting. :)

Hi,

Here is a link to a screengrab of my RAM info, not sure why I am not using the entire amount of RAM I have which is 8GB according to my PC.

https://ibb.co/LC4DxVY

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Hi,

Here is a link to a screengrab of my RAM info, not sure why I am not using the entire amount of RAM I have which is 8GB according to my PC.

https://ibb.co/LC4DxVY
Thank you!

The RAM in use is the RAM that's currently taken up by software running on the machine, the Available RAM is the memory that's free and not yet taken by any software or tasks. You ought to have DDR3 RAM running at 1333 MHz. You should open up CPU-Z and go to Memory and take a screenshot. Then go to SPD and take another screenshot. Then under Memory Slot Selection, check how many slots there are. Go to the second slot: if it's empty, you have one 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz stick in the system. If there's information on the second slot check what it says next to 'Module Size.' It would be best to just send out two screenshots of Slot 1 and Slot 2, respectively. And a screenshot of the Memory tab as well.

Now, to check if you have got an SSD, click on Start -> type in: System Information -> Click Enter -> click on 'Components' -> click the '+' to the left of Storage -> click on Disks -> Tell me what it says on the big white panel next to
'Model.'

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

It would be good to check up on this info as it is important that we know. :)

hmunster123

Distinguished
May 27, 2014
Thank you!

The RAM in use is the RAM that's currently taken up by software running on the machine, the Available RAM is the memory that's free and not yet taken by any software or tasks. You ought to have DDR3 RAM running at 1333 MHz. You should open up CPU-Z and go to Memory and take a screenshot. Then go to SPD and take another screenshot. Then under Memory Slot Selection, check how many slots there are. Go to the second slot: if it's empty, you have one 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz stick in the system. If there's information on the second slot check what it says next to 'Module Size.' It would be best to just send out two screenshots of Slot 1 and Slot 2, respectively. And a screenshot of the Memory tab as well.

Now, to check if you have got an SSD, click on Start -> type in: System Information -> Click Enter -> click on 'Components' -> click the '+' to the left of Storage -> click on Disks -> Tell me what it says on the big white panel next to
'Model.'

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

It would be good to check up on this info as it is important that we know. :)

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Thanks, here is info

Model WDC WD5000AAKX-08U6AA0

pnIVYBtWj

poWDdGa0j

pn095MGDj
Thank you very much!

So this means you've got two slots (or at least that's what we're seeing) and in each of them you've got a 4 GB DDR3L memory stick running at 1333 MHz. Note that DDR3 may not always be compatible with DDR3L due to the fact DDR3 runs at 1.5 Volts and DDR3L - 1.35 Volts. This means that if you decide to upgrade the memory and buy one 8 GB DDR3L stick at 1333 MHz, you'd have to remove one of the 4 GB sticks and you'll be left with 12 GB RAM. You can always get two 8 GB DDR3L sticks and end up with 16 GB RAM, but is it really worth it?

You have got a 500 GB Western Digital Hard Drive running at 7200 RPM. Now, Windows 10 runs very slowly on Hard Drives and it would really make a big difference if you install it on an SSD. However, that would mean having to transfer all your files, install all your software over again and set up the particular settings of particular programs and software again once more. That would also mean using a new Windows 10 license.

You can possibly upgrade the CPU too. Perhaps to a Core i7-4790 or another Haswell Processor, but there always exists the possibility it may not work or that you'd have to think about getting a better cooling solution.

Getting an SSD and installing Windows again on it would really speed up the system. So would getting a new Processor. But, if you ask me, it would be best to upgrade nothing and to keep the hardware in its current state, because there really is a chance something might not work or end up being fully compatible, in which case you'd need to spend even more money to send the machine to the repair service.

Now, I'm almost sure the CPU upgrade will work. But almost does not mean 100%. I am also sure that getting an SSD would really speed things up, but keeping in mind you'll lose all your files and settings, I don't think you would like that. A memory upgrade would be welcome too, yet I think the SSD would bring-in more performance.

So, in the end, it may be good to try and optimize performance on the current machine via software instead of upgrading it. You can try to upgrade it, but this is a Warning that things may go askew. Everything works now. So an upgrade would be necessary only if you're completely familiar with the process and have another computer you can use if something with the desktop goes wrong.

In the end, my two cents is to keep things as they are unless you're really sure you want to upgrade and prepared to face any unpleasant consequences should they arise.

Last edited:

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Thanks, here is info

Model WDC WD5000AAKX-08U6AA0

pnIVYBtWj

poWDdGa0j

pn095MGDj
You can try upgrading the SSD for now (meaning you'll have to transfer your files and programs to another disk or machine, acquire a Windows 10 license, and be ready to install and setup up everything again). If you are not satisfied with the results you can try getting an i5 or i7 Haswell (4th gen) CPU. Though keep in mind if it does not work you may have to revert back to the Pentium. Keep my warning from the previous comment in mind and should you proceed, proceed with caution.

And lastly, if you have acquired a really powerful CPU and an SSD and everything runs fluently, you can look for two sticks DDR3L RAM at 1333 MHz as an upgrade. Do check out how many memory slots the machine has. If it has two slots, the maximum RAM you could install would be 16 GB (2x8). If it has four slots, that number would become 32 GB (4x8). But do keep in mind that 16 GB would be a good upgrade from 8 GB (especially after upgrading the other components, because they will initially and firstly bring more performance to the table than the increase in RAM would).

Updates by Priority in Your Case:

1. Change Hard Disk to SSD and install Windows on it - Get a 2.5 inch SATA SSD (256 / 500 / 1000 GB; depending on how much space you'd need, pick what's most appropriate for you). Or you may get a PCIe SSD if the motherboard has PCIe slots. Keep in mind that if you would like to rest upon complete compatibility, the 2.5 inch SATA SSD would be your best option.

2. Install Newer CPU - Core i5 or i7 Haswell. Core i7-4790 would be the maximum.

3. Add More RAM - 16 GB (2x8 GB | LDDR3 @ 1333 MHz) or above total. (You may install more than 16 GB only if your motherboard has more than 2 memory slots). Each memory slot supports a maximum of 8 GB RAM.

*Point 2 -> Before updating the CPU you must make sure you've got the latest BIOS installed (if there is a way to find out about the chronology of BIOS versions). You can find your BIOS version in CPU-Z as per the screenshot I've attached hereunder. Keep in mind that updating the BIOS may make your machine unusable if not performed under the correct circumstances.

1.png

*And do keep in mind there's always the possibility of incompatibility and things not working out as they should. It's a risk, but if you're willing to take it, I suppose this outline will be helpful.

Last edited:

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I found some ram that is compatible with this computer, do I add the ram to the empty slots or do I have to purchase ram with more memory to stick in the same slots that are holding the current ram?
Thanks for writing up!

If you have empty slots: If you are absolutely sure that the RAM is compatible and the same type and speed as the RAM you've got installed, you can easily place it in the empty slots you've got (if you have empty slots).

If you have no empty slots: If you have not got any empty slots, you'll have to acquire RAM sticks that hold a larger amount of memory than those currently installed into the computer, remove the sticks installed, and replace them with the new sticks, each of which supporting more RAM than the old ones.

-> It is mandatory though that the new RAM you acquire, in every situation, is the same speed and type as the RAM currently installed in your machine - DDR3L 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 / You should get 8 GB sticks. Make sure too that the RAM you're getting is for desktop computers and not laptops. You can also check out the palpable size and ask for further elucidation regarding compatibility if need be.

Write up how everything's going. A RAM upgrade is always a good thing. How much RAM will you be installing - 16 GB? If you have 2 more slots (empty slots; meaning you have a total of 4 slots), you can easily add 2 more sticks (each being 8 GB) and get a total of 1x4 + 1x4 (your current RAM) + 1x8 + 1x8 (the new RAM) which would equal 24 GB RAM and be great.

If you have no more than 2 slots and they are currently filled up with RAM (1x4 + 1x4 GB), you can replace them with the new RAM and get a total of 1x8 + 1x8 GB (16 GB RAM).

I would be glad to hear how things are going.

Thank you!

Last edited: