technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
This is the back of my PC, do you think it is possible to upgrade the PSU in this PC because will the screws match up with this PSU:
!Bpel!UQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKjEEuf5gw1UqBLrlW-6Sfw~~_35.JPG

MY PC:
PSU.jpg

THANK YOU - I NEED THIS ANSWER URGENTLY

technobot

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I know but I was just asking to be sure, One more question, My pc has a core 2 quad processor and a PSU has an atx12v 2.0 but on the intel site is says you need to have something that complies with ATX12v 2.2.
Will the ATX12v 2.0 work in my pc
THANK YOU ALL

Suggestion: When you change the PSU, turn the case upside down. That way you cannot drop the PSU onto the motherboard and CPU.

It's also a good idea to take notes about where you disconnect cables when you remove the old PSU and check theconnections off the list as you connect the new PSU.

matthew123

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Hey good suggestions jsc. I always put a little bit of masking tape on the PSU leads saying what they're connected to.

The answer to your headline question is yes. Thanks to the adoption of atx standards an atx power supply will fit in an atx case. The four screw holes in the rear corners of a power supply will match up with four screw holes in the rear panel of a pc case. The fifth screw hole in the odd location is optional and has pretty much disappeared from modern cases and psu's.

PC cases are rather flexible about the location and orientation of the power supply.Some pc cases have power supplies at the top/rear of the case. Other cases have power supplies that are at the bottom/rear of the case. Some cases have psu's in other locations. In addition there are cases which have psu's mounted what some people might refer to as being "upside down". It just depends on a pc case's design.

No need to worry about ATX12v 2.2. It was a revision to the atx standard that added the 8 pin, 150 watt, power connection for newer video cards. The power supply manufacturers in turn created the 6+2 pin power connector which can be used as either a 6 pin or 8 pin power connection. They've got it covered both ways. You would need that 8 pin connection only if you had a high end, high power, video card that required such a connection.