Can I upgrade my RAM?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

egnite987

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
So I want to upgrade my RAM, right now my 2 main specs are:

-4GB RAM
-Windows Vista 32 Bit

If I upgrade my computer to Windows 7 64 bit I heard that I can upgrade to 8GB of RAM.

The thing is, is that I did a little research and figured out this is my motherboard:
MSI (Micro Star) MS-7529 (G31M3-L V2)

And these are my specs for my memory:
DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 (non-ECC)

My question is, If I upgrade my computer to Windows 7 64 bit will my computer allow me to upgrade to 8GB of RAM even with the motherboard and specs my ram has right now?

*I used crucial.com to find all this out and It also states that my maximum number of RAM is 4GB? Does it say this because I'm currently running a 32 bit OS?

Solution
looks like it will run fine ... but............... 1600 ram not 1866 and you don't need to buy "dominator". there are others out there that are near the same for less money.

egnite987

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Oh LMAO, I meant Australian Dollars. :s , Thanks so much for your help again! I did some conversions but all together it turns out to be cheaper then American Dollars, which doesn't make much sense to me. (I converted the prices from newegg)

TRENDING THREADS