[SOLVED] Can I upgrade or should I build a new rig?

Arinnis

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
Hi there, I wanted to ask what do you think - shall I upgrade my PC or it's better to start from a fresh? My current build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 NITRO OC 4GB
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 8 GB,3000MHz, CL15 (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15R) A kit of 2x4GB
PSU: SilentiumPC Vero M1 600W 80 Plus
SSD: Patriot Burst 120GB
HDD: Toshiba P300 1 TB

I was thinking about going Ryzen 5 3600 (current mobo still can run it) and pairing it with something like RX 5700 XT. RAM obviously to be upgraded.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Solution
Hi there, I wanted to ask what do you think - shall I upgrade my PC or it's better to start from a fresh? My current build:

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 8 GB,3000MHz, CL15 (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15R) A kit of 2x4GB

I was thinking about going Ryzen 5 3600 (current mobo still can run it) and pairing it with something like RX 5700 XT. RAM obviously to be upgraded.

What do you do that you need a faster CPU?
On that system, I would upgrade to a faster and larger storage...

On that system, I would upgrade to a faster and larger storage disk (1TB M.2 NVMe) that could have the OS, apps and games.
Then I will upgrade the GPU, if gaming in on the table..

Reactions: Arinnis
Solution

Arinnis

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
On that system, I would upgrade to a faster and larger storage disk (1TB M.2 NVMe) that could have the OS, apps and games.
Then I will upgrade the GPU, if gaming in on the table..

I mostly game and multitask. Sometimes work with larger Excel files when I'm working from home, but Ryzen 5 1600 is doing a good job I suppose.

So you suggest to get a better storage - alright! What GPU would you pair with my current build?

Arinnis

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
i think thats probably the best way to go but i dont think the ram upgrade is necessary, also 5600XT and 5500XT is coming soon, so maybe prices will vary, so wait till early next year;

Oh, okay. I saw 5500XT benchmarks, but the price seems to be a bit too high for the performance. I will wait for the releases you mentioned as far as GPU upgrade is concerned.

RAM prices are said to be going up and I thought 8GB is not that much nowadays. I wanted to buy 16GB kit of 2 as they are dirt cheap now. I was wondering if I could get another set like Crucial and use 8GB I already have and be happy with 24GB of RAM or just sell those 8GB of mine because they won't work together well.

Thanks!

Oh, okay. I saw 5500XT benchmarks, but the price seems to be a bit too high for the performance. I will wait for the releases you mentioned as far as GPU upgrade is concerned.

RAM prices are said to be going up and I thought 8GB is not that much nowadays. I wanted to buy 16GB kit of 2 as they are dirt cheap now. I was wondering if I could get another set like Crucial and use 8GB I already have and be happy with 24GB of RAM or just sell those 8GB of mine because they won't work together well.

Thanks!
if u get the exact same model, get another one; but many will advice u not; so sell them;
i mistook the ram for 2 x 8 gb; sorry...

Reactions: Arinnis

Arinnis

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
if u get the exact same model, get another one; but many will advice u not; so sell them;
i mistook the ram for 2 x 8 gb; sorry...

No problem. Yeah, as I thought. Different RAMs will probably not go along. It seems that those I have are not available anywhere in my country. I will just get a new kit and sell the one I have. Thanks, it's clear for me now.

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
OK... just a few things to note here.

1. If you want to build a new system then ok. I would not consider a upgrade with your current motherboard. Yes it might be able to handle the 3600 w/ bios update, but how much will it be stressing it?

2. I would only upgrade to a newer PC if you must. I'm not sure what your current budget is for a new system or if you can afford to build a new PC right now. Prices always fluctuate.

1. If you want to build a new system then ok. I would not consider a upgrade with your current motherboard. Yes it might be able to handle the 3600 w/ bios update, but how much will it be stressing it?

2. I would only upgrade to a newer PC if you must. I'm not sure what your current budget is for a new system or if you can afford to build a new PC right now. Prices always fluctuate.

considering the fact that there are reports out there that 1st gen ryzen chips will get updated using the 12nm process i beleve a motherbord upgrade would be best too

The Ryzen 3600, is a more polished CPU and uses the same or even less power to accomplish the same tasks the Ryzen 1600 do.
Because of that, it will run just fine on his Gigabyte GA-AB350M motherboard.