Can I upgrade the video card in my HP Envy?

goodstuff

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Just purchased a HP envy 2EW63UA#ABA and want to upgrade both the video card and the RAM. Need to know cost and what cards are applicable

Solution
A laptop? No you cant upgrade the video card. You might be able to add more RAM, however if the spec sheet I found is right it has two RAM slots both are already occupied with 8GB sticks, so you could upgrade to two 16gb sticks for a total of 32gb's if you want. But unless you are doing some sort of productivity task that can make use of 32gb of RAm, it wont help performance or do anything for you at all.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
A laptop? No you cant upgrade the video card. You might be able to add more RAM, however if the spec sheet I found is right it has two RAM slots both are already occupied with 8GB sticks, so you could upgrade to two 16gb sticks for a total of 32gb's if you want. But unless you are doing some sort of productivity task that can make use of 32gb of RAm, it wont help performance or do anything for you at all.

Solution
Apr 27, 2019
I did upgrade my Envy w/ the same build to 32 Gb of ram. I saw some improvement however when running 3D in AUTOCAD my machine still will lock up. I pulled up the task manager & looked at the processes window. My CPU runs in the low 50%, memory runs in the high 40% range. The item that's choking is the GPU which hits in the high 70% range. So the end result is sitting & staring at the unit until it finishes the crunching of the active commands.

My solution was to buy a HP 17 Zbook G5 w/ 32 Gb of ram & the i9 processor. I can now run parallel sessions of 3D autocad & not have any lag time during processing periods.