Question Can i upgrade this Alienware PC?

True Local

Prominent
Aug 22, 2021
My friend just bought a Alienware Aurora R14 VR Ready Gaming PC and ive never had one before. Ive heard bad things and that you cannot upgrade the system. Is this true? Can you not add more ram to this machine? or swap a HD?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok thank you, so say i wanted to swap out the 3070 for a 3080. Or swap put Chips, would that be possible ?
'chip' = CPU?

What is in it now?

But basically, don't buy a prebuilt something with the thought of 'upgrading' after a while.
Especially an Alienware.

The real solution to upgrade an Alienware is to sell it as is, and apply that money to a whole new system.

Reactions: Cookiezaddict
Sep 10, 2022
'chip' = CPU?

What is in it now?

But basically, don't buy a prebuilt something with the thought of 'upgrading' after a while.
Especially an Alienware.

The real solution to upgrade an Alienware is to sell it as is, and apply that money to a whole new system.

Ok thank you, so say i wanted to swap out the 3070 for a 3080. Or swap put Chips, would that be possible ?

Dude I am 100% sure you can upgrade it, especially that minor. It's a good system, overpriced, but it's not like it's a bad bad system. It's not the best for the money, but the amount of hate is ridiculously high. And the fact that it's your friend pc and you are the one spending the time raising concern about that got curious why is that? If your mate enjoy it, it's all good.

If he's having problems, contact support team, and if he wanted more out of the system, yes, tell him to get new GPU. If he got the money to pay that, he surely got the money for 3080 + extra $50 to pay tech person at nearest reliable pc store. All solve and done. Beware, this system comes with warranty doing such thing may void it, so best contact their support team first. They may actually help with the GPU installation.

Trust me it's more beneficial to contact their support team as online, I see most people don't like Alienware as much, not even me, but at the same time, I believe they are alright.

Typically on systems like the Alienware you can upgrade things like the drives or ram, but they probably don’t support much more than that. As a tech myself and having built quite a few PCs in the past I can tell you one of the most aggravating scenarios was when people who didn’t know what they were doing would open a system and start monkeying around not knowing what they were doing then expect me to fix it. Don’t get me wrong it was money in my pocket and I was thankful for that, but sometimes you had to spend time undoing things they’d done before you could address their initial concern. Makes me realize why companies might make their systems a pain to work on.