Can I upgrade this CPU

packemup87

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I have an old Sony Vaio PCV-RX550 with a 1.50 GHz Pentium 4 processor (845 Intel Chipset). My son uses the computer and I would like to upgrade the CPU if possible. Could I buy a socket 478 processor to upgrade the computer.

Basically I don't know the current socket type.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Without knowing any spec on the power supply, motherboard - you may be able to put up to a 2.0ghz P4 - since that was the last p4 that used the 400mhz FSB. Depending on fast of a p4 you want to put in there - OEMs go from $20-$40.

Also, depending on what your son uses it for a memory and video card upgrade would show some extra performance. RDRAM is, unfortunately, not cheap and will run you about $50~ for 256mb and $90~ for 512mb. If you never upgraded your video card (the original is a Geforce TNT2) which is ancient by todays standards, your computer has an AGP slot and theres a lot of cards out there that can up your performance - don't go too high end because you'd most likely need to upgrade you power supply which is just kind of throwing more money away (look for maybe a Geforce 4 ti4600 on ebay for like $30)

packemup87

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. He does some light gaming and he has a Geforce FX5200 installed. I also upgraded the RAM a while back and it is max'ed out at 512MB.

In looking at the following link, it appears that there are CPU's that have clockspeeds >2.0 with 400FSB. Would it be possible to use one of those processors or have are there additional considerations.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/list.aspx?ProcFam=483

Thanks,
Eric

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'm guessing it's a 423 socket, though not sure.

Try using CPUZ:

CPU-Z

It will give you more info on your CPU/MB/Ram as well as its settings.

I'm thinking it might be a wee bit too old to really invest upgrading it.

Edit:

But I see there are 423 CPUs for sale on ebay.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Without knowing any spec on the power supply, motherboard - you may be able to put up to a 2.0ghz P4 - since that was the last p4 that used the 400mhz FSB. Depending on fast of a p4 you want to put in there - OEMs go from $20-$40.

Also, depending on what your son uses it for a memory and video card upgrade would show some extra performance. RDRAM is, unfortunately, not cheap and will run you about $50~ for 256mb and $90~ for 512mb. If you never upgraded your video card (the original is a Geforce TNT2) which is ancient by todays standards, your computer has an AGP slot and theres a lot of cards out there that can up your performance - don't go too high end because you'd most likely need to upgrade you power supply which is just kind of throwing more money away (look for maybe a Geforce 4 ti4600 on ebay for like $30)

Not to mention the cpu probly couldnt send the info a vary high end card would need to praform like it is suppose to wasting the card and your money.