[SOLVED] Can I upgrade this?

Nov 29, 2019
I have a prebuilt LENOVO pc with a LENOVO 36D9 motherboard.
I want to upgrade my current GTX 1050ti to a GTX 1650 or a RX 580.
So, I have two questions.
  1. Is this motherboard able to fit either of these graphics cards?
  2. Which one of these would be better to get?

Apologies for stupid questions, I am very new to the PC world.

Solution
The short answer is "likely" (sorry if the reply is too long, I tried to be as brief as I can):

1. Size (lenght/width) varies from model to model. Simply look for the card's dimesions and then check the clearance inside your case.

2. Please provide the make and model of the power supply (you'll see in a minute why).
Technically, the 580 is (quite a bit) better in performance than the 1650, but it also has higher tdp (AMD GPUs usually have higher tdp than Nvidia ones). The 1650 needs 75w, which is the same amount the PCIe slot (where the cars is plugged in) can offer. The RX 580 requires about 185w, but that may vary (again, check for the specific model).
Here you have have issues related to the power supply. Graphics cards draw power...

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
The short answer is "likely" (sorry if the reply is too long, I tried to be as brief as I can):

1. Size (lenght/width) varies from model to model. Simply look for the card's dimesions and then check the clearance inside your case.

2. Please provide the make and model of the power supply (you'll see in a minute why).
Technically, the 580 is (quite a bit) better in performance than the 1650, but it also has higher tdp (AMD GPUs usually have higher tdp than Nvidia ones). The 1650 needs 75w, which is the same amount the PCIe slot (where the cars is plugged in) can offer. The RX 580 requires about 185w, but that may vary (again, check for the specific model).
Here you have have issues related to the power supply. Graphics cards draw power from the PCIe slot (up to 75w); beyond that they need power from the psu (aka power supply unit). They get that power from either a 6 pin (up to 75w) or an 8 pin (up to 150w) connector, or more of these.
Prebuilt systems tend not to use the best power supplies; even though your has a graphics card, it's a PCIe only card, so you need to check if the power supply comes with either of those, preferably the 8 pin connector.
If your budget allow, consider the 1660 as well. Maybe not worth the extra cash for the performance, but has the tdp dropped to 120w. Maybe you can catch a deal on that.

TD,DR (for 2.): 580 is better, but more power hungy. Check the power supply for 6/8 pin connector(s). Consider the GTX 1660/1660Ti if you find a good deal.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS