• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question can i upgrade to 12 GB RAM in My ASUS K53 SM Laptop? also how to see current brand of RAM installed in my laptop

Jul 10, 2021
i have 4GB preinstalled in my laptop and wanted to put 8GB RAM in my device empty slot.. which one should i purchase?
also i wanna know the brand and specs of preinstalled RAM in my Device, how can i do it?

also in corsair scan it shows ONLY 4GB DDR3L but i wanted to put ddr4 8GB RAM.. will it work??
Thanks

delaro

Splendid
Ambassador
Straight from the manual.

Memory
DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 GB SDRAM

If you have a single 4GB installed you can add 1X4GB
If you have 2X 2GB then you need to replace them both.
8 GB sticks are not listed as supported

Will it work beyond 8GB 🤷‍♂️ Possible but that isn't a guarantee.

Jul 10, 2021
Straight from the manual.

Memory
DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 GB SDRAM

If you have a single 4GB installed you can add 1X4GB
If you have 2X 2GB then you need to replace them both.
8 GB sticks are not listed as supported

Will it work beyond 8GB 🤷‍♂️ Possible but that isn't a guarantee.
I see many user of k53sm says that a total of 12 GB RAM worked on their system.. should i take risk or not?

what if it also worked for me then would there be any problem/error comes on my laptop if it shows 12 GB usable then its fine?

JWNoctis

Upstanding
Jun 9, 2021
8GB should be fine for most typical use - Unless you have a particular need for more.

Mixing differently-sized memory modules is also inadvisable.

DDR4 SO-DIMM won't fit inside slots for DDR3L.

delaro

Splendid
Ambassador
8GB should be fine for most typical use - Unless you have a particular need for more.

Mixing differently-sized memory modules is also inadvisable.

DDR4 SO-DIMM won't fit inside slots for DDR3L.
Chrome with Addons, Discord, and AV= 70% memory usage 😕 I can see the want for more.
Mixing sticks can always be iffy especially when the module sizes are not openly supported.

DDR3 1333 1.5V with a CL around 9 should be fine, the brand won't matter as much since 99% of them come from the same two factories and just get branded.

1X4 runs $5
2X8 $15-$25
1X8 $30 and up but can be hard to find now since they sold far less of these.

Bob.B

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
i have 4GB preinstalled in my laptop and wanted to put 8GB RAM in my device empty slot.. which one should i purchase?
also i wanna know the brand and specs of preinstalled RAM in my Device, how can i do it?

also in corsair scan it shows ONLY 4GB DDR3L but i wanted to put ddr4 8GB RAM.. will it work??
Thanks
Keep it simple go here and get the 2x4GB kit.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/k53sm

If your still bumping up to the ram limit work on stopping unneeded stuff from loading.

delaro

Splendid
Ambassador
i wanna know if i can put 1.35 V RAM DDR3L in my laptop or it must be 1.5V ie DDR3?
i am thinking to buy Kingston 8GB PC3L 1600MHz Laptop RAM (KVR16LS118) .. will it support?

4GB or 8GB doesnt matter as many asus k53 sm user says it working but i am not sure what brand they purchased..

detail post - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-k53-sm-ram-upgrading-help.3719633/#post-22427675
You don't want to mix sticks with different voltages on OEM's that don't allow overclocking it's almost always a headache to deal with. 😢 Stay with RAM using the same voltages. That laptop shipped with 1.5V RAM so if you're not replacing both sticks stay with 1.5V.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS