[SOLVED] can i upgrade to 12 GB RAM in My ASUS K53 SM Laptop? also how to see current brand of RAM installed in my laptop

Jul 10, 2021
i have 4GB preinstalled in my laptop and wanted to put 8GB RAM in my device empty slot.. which one should i purchase?
also i wanna know the brand and specs of preinstalled RAM in my Device, how can i do it?

also in corsair scan it shows ONLY 4GB DDR3L but i wanted to put ddr4 8GB RAM.. will it work??
Thanks

Solution
i wanna know if i can put 1.35 V RAM DDR3L in my laptop or it must be 1.5V ie DDR3?
i am thinking to buy Kingston 8GB PC3L 1600MHz Laptop RAM (KVR16LS118) .. will it support?

4GB or 8GB doesnt matter as many asus k53 sm user says it working but i am not sure what brand they purchased..

detail post - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-k53-sm-ram-upgrading-help.3719633/#post-22427675
You don't want to mix sticks with different voltages on OEM's that don't allow overclocking it's almost always a headache to deal with. 😢 Stay with RAM using the same voltages. That laptop shipped with 1.5V RAM so if you're not replacing both sticks stay with 1.5V.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Straight from the manual.

Memory
DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 GB SDRAM

If you have a single 4GB installed you can add 1X4GB
If you have 2X 2GB then you need to replace them both.
8 GB sticks are not listed as supported

Will it work beyond 8GB 🤷‍♂️ Possible but that isn't a guarantee.

Jul 10, 2021
Straight from the manual.

Memory
DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM
2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 GB SDRAM

If you have a single 4GB installed you can add 1X4GB
If you have 2X 2GB then you need to replace them both.
8 GB sticks are not listed as supported

Will it work beyond 8GB 🤷‍♂️ Possible but that isn't a guarantee.
I see many user of k53sm says that a total of 12 GB RAM worked on their system.. should i take risk or not?

what if it also worked for me then would there be any problem/error comes on my laptop if it shows 12 GB usable then its fine?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
8GB should be fine for most typical use - Unless you have a particular need for more.

Mixing differently-sized memory modules is also inadvisable.

DDR4 SO-DIMM won't fit inside slots for DDR3L.

Chrome with Addons, Discord, and AV= 70% memory usage 😕 I can see the want for more.
Mixing sticks can always be iffy especially when the module sizes are not openly supported.

DDR3 1333 1.5V with a CL around 9 should be fine, the brand won't matter as much since 99% of them come from the same two factories and just get branded.

1X4 runs $5
2X8 $15-$25
1X8 $30 and up but can be hard to find now since they sold far less of these.

i have 4GB preinstalled in my laptop and wanted to put 8GB RAM in my device empty slot.. which one should i purchase?
also i wanna know the brand and specs of preinstalled RAM in my Device, how can i do it?

also in corsair scan it shows ONLY 4GB DDR3L but i wanted to put ddr4 8GB RAM.. will it work??
Thanks
Keep it simple go here and get the 2x4GB kit.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/k53sm

If your still bumping up to the ram limit work on stopping unneeded stuff from loading.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
i wanna know if i can put 1.35 V RAM DDR3L in my laptop or it must be 1.5V ie DDR3?
i am thinking to buy Kingston 8GB PC3L 1600MHz Laptop RAM (KVR16LS118) .. will it support?

4GB or 8GB doesnt matter as many asus k53 sm user says it working but i am not sure what brand they purchased..

detail post - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-k53-sm-ram-upgrading-help.3719633/#post-22427675
You don't want to mix sticks with different voltages on OEM's that don't allow overclocking it's almost always a headache to deal with. 😢 Stay with RAM using the same voltages. That laptop shipped with 1.5V RAM so if you're not replacing both sticks stay with 1.5V.

Solution