[SOLVED] can I upgrade USB ports via BIOS??

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hey, peeps!

Probably a silly question, but I will still ask it, just to make sure... if I purchase a MoBo that comes with USBs 3.2 Gen 1 ports only, will it be possible to upgrade these ports to Gen 2 via a BIOS update later on? Or it doesn't need to be BIOS update, I'm interested if there's any chance for this MoBo to have USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports at all without me physically installing new / additional ports...

And on the same topic, if I buy a USB hub (or whatever the thing that adds more USBs to a MoBo is called) that has USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports will that MoBo support these Gen 2 USBs at all, or will it never detect them if it doesn't naturally support them as it comes out of the production line?

And should you ask for a MoBo for reference then here is one that I found, but in all honesty, I am referring to all MoBos that don't come with Gen 2 USBs by default, not about a certain MoBo in particular:

Gigabyte B550M H
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-H-rev-10/sp#sp

Thanks in advance for your clarifications :)

Solution
No. Twice as fast requires new hardware.

It's already been upgraded from USB 3.0 to USB 3.1 Gen 1 and then USB 3.2 Gen 1 (all are exactly the same except the name) and now you want 10Gbps too?

Plugging a faster device in will cause that device to negotiate a slower speed and operate there. So it's backwards compatible

It's already been upgraded from USB 3.0 to USB 3.1 Gen 1 and then USB 3.2 Gen 1 (all are exactly the same except the name) and now you want 10Gbps too?

Plugging a faster device in will cause that device to negotiate a slower speed and operate there. So it's backwards compatible

Solution

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

Plugging a faster device in will cause that device to negotiate a slower speed and operate there.
I mean, of course I would want this, who wouldn't? But it's not like I specifically requested it, I was just asking around :)

But that's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Much of the excitement about USB3.2 speeds is because the USB people got 'way ahead of other components of the system, just to be well prepared. Let's not forget that the USB3.2 system is ONLY a COMMUNICATION system. A state-of-the-art USB3.2 Gen 1 or Gen 2 External Hard Drive that actually contains a mechanical rotating disk drive with moving heads has a USB3.2 Gen 1 communication subsystem able to communicate with the mobo controller at up to 5 Gb/s; if it were Gen 2, that comm speed can be up to 10 Gb/s. However, the FASTEST HARD DRIVE units can access data at a rate of 3 to 5 Gb/s, and most are at the lower end of that. IF the external unit contains an SSD, some of those CAN access data over 5 Gb/s, but I don't think there are any on the market now that reach 10 Gb/s. As for Gen 2x2 with its 20 Gb/s limit (and the next Gen will be faster yet!), they are intended to ensure that if and when super-fast devices are created, the comm subsystems required will exist as proven technology and not slow them down.

There is one other application useful CURRENTLY for USB3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gb/s max). That is a HUB of that design. That hub has ONE communication channel back to the mobo controller, but it can make that data channel available to SEVERAL relatively fast USB3.2 devices to share. So you might connect, say, four USB3.2 Gen1 external drives to such a Hub that would deliver total data throughput close to the Gen 2 max speed.

So, look at what hardware you have now and then project what you might acquire, and when. And remember to allocate SLOW devices like keyboards, etc. to an older USB2 header and Hub. If you are unlikely to need more than the several Gen1 ports you have already before your decide to upgrade entirely to new hardware, then you don't NEED Gen 2 now.

Reactions: monere

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
However, the FASTEST HARD DRIVE units can access data at a rate of 3 to 5 Gb/s, and most are at the lower end of that. IF the external unit contains an SSD, some of those CAN access data over 5 Gb/s, but I don't think there are any on the market now that reach 10 Gb/s.
well, yeah but when I build / buy my computers I do it with the intention of being up-to-date (within realistic limits, obviously) for the next 5-10 years, I don't get PCs that are completely outdated / phased out in 2 years. That's why I'm interested in getting the latest (or as close to the latest as possible) Gen USBs (ie: Gen 2).

But since the MoBo that I referenced isn't capable of even supporting such USBs in the future imma skip it :)

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Reactions: Paperdoc