Can i upgrade windows 32 bit to windows 64 bit without losing files?

Jul 6, 2018
Hello everybody, i have three partitions c, d and e. My question is can i install win 8.1 64 bit from bios without losing files on local disc d and e?

Solution

There is no "custom" from 32bit to 64bit.
This is a clean install. No other option.

For your "data" on the other partitions? You really, really, really need to have all of that backed up to some other drive, and have that offline during this process.

Don't come back and say we didn't warn you...

Welcome to Tom's!
Data files will not be affected, although a backup is recommended. Since you need to do a clean install to get to 64 bit Windows, that will require a format of your C: drive only. You will also have to re-install ALL of your programs and apps.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Depends on what is on the D: and E: drives.

If it's just data files (documents, spreadsheets, images, mp3s, videos, etc...) that content will remain intact. Any programs/applications that you installed onto those drives will need to be reinstalled as they've also written data to the C: Drive and Registry which will be wiped when you install Windows 64-bit.

-Wolf sends

You have to do the custom install. there are no settings to save. You will have to format your C: drive. As long as you do not re-partition your HDD or touch your D: & E: drives, you should be good to go. As stated earlier, it is still a good idea to back up your data from the D: & E: drives.

USAFRet

Titan

There is no "custom" from 32bit to 64bit.
This is a clean install. No other option.

For your "data" on the other partitions? You really, really, really need to have all of that backed up to some other drive, and have that offline during this process.

Don't come back and say we didn't warn you...

Solution