Can I upgrade windows 8 DSP to Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

libeats

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I've been thinking of purchasing a new windows 8 DSP copy but did some research and apparently you can only install a DSP copy on one machine and once your machine crash, you need to buy a fresh windows again, not sure if this is correct but anyhow...

How does this affect the new windows upgrade that Microsoft is offering?

Can I upgrade to windows 10 with the DSP version?

Thanks

Solution

In case of a drive dying or whatever, you won't need to install Win 8.1 and then do the upgrade again.
As said, you can create your own Windows 10 install media, and reinstall with that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install...

USAFRet

Titan
Plus, most of the documentation from Microsoft speaks about upgrading from Windows 7 or 8.1. Not Win 8.

"What are the basic facts of the Windows 10 upgrade?

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Are there any qualification requirements?

The only requirements are that a) your device is compatible, and b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).

Windows 10 is designed to run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs. That means your device is likely compatible and will run Windows 10.1

See the full specifications here."

libeats

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
ok thanks, well with my current windows 7 enterprise version i cant upgrade to 10, thats why im building a new machine with windows 8 at the moment.

Im not sure about this DSP version, because if your hardrive crash then windows crash basically (according to some forums), so my windows 10 will be gone should my system crash in future, then il have to buy a new windows 10...

I need to think about it....

USAFRet

Titan

No, this is incorrect. You will be able to create your own Windows 10 install media after you do the upgrade. So if your drive crashes in the future, you can reinstall. Windows does not care what drive it is on, only what motherboard it is associated with.

libeats

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
oh thats great news for me then, because im not planning on upgrading my Motherboard at all, so that mean i can reinstall this DSP copy everytime, and also just upgrade it to windows 10 again should this happen? or do you get 1 free upgrade to 10? sorry about these questions but thanks for the help

USAFRet

Titan

In case of a drive dying or whatever, you won't need to install Win 8.1 and then do the upgrade again.
As said, you can create your own Windows 10 install media, and reinstall with that.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.