Can I upgrade?

RossTheGuy

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
So my RX 470 4GB platinum edition is on the way and i will have it in 2 days.
I have been watching some reviews and noticed how many of the said that the stock heatsink is crap/cheapest as it gets.
Now I am wondering could I swap them out/buy some better ones online?

Solution
I would either return it before you open it, or use it as is. My guess is its probably perfectly fine, but some people are rather critical with their reviews. But that would be up to you.

as for adding a cooler, ive seen aftermarket coolers but thye around 50$ minimum. For that amount, i woudl suggest just returning the 470 and buying a better quality 480 or 1060.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
I would either return it before you open it, or use it as is. My guess is its probably perfectly fine, but some people are rather critical with their reviews. But that would be up to you.

as for adding a cooler, ive seen aftermarket coolers but thye around 50$ minimum. For that amount, i woudl suggest just returning the 470 and buying a better quality 480 or 1060.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Second what @hdmark said. It will probably be just fine, but if you really want a better cooler I would just return it and get a better card rather than an aftermarket GPU cooler. If you do want to return it, you may be best off just refusing the package when they try and deliver it if possible. It just gets returned to sender, saving you shipping it back. I did this recently, worked out well. Although you should confirm the return with the retailer first.