[SOLVED] Can I upload this video in a night? How much time needed?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
My upload speed is pretty bad it is 0.65 not even 1, so my video file is 5GB in size, can I upload this to YouTube in a full night and early morning? Thank you

Solution
5GB is file size of close-to-BD-quality two-hour movie. What file you're trying to upload? Have you tried re-encoding, reducing quality, FPSs etc to get it into more manageable size? On top of that, I'm not even sure YT will let you upload 5gb file.
Youtube's file size limit is actually 128GB with a maximum run time of up to 12 hours for verified accounts. For unverified accounts, the run time limit is just 15 minutes though...

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673

I do, however, agree that if this is a video of more "typical" length, it might be worth compressing it first, especially if your upload speed is limited. What is the length and resolution of the video?

Keep in mind that even if you upload a video...
5GB is file size of close-to-BD-quality two-hour movie. What file you're trying to upload? Have you tried re-encoding, reducing quality, FPSs etc to get it into more manageable size? On top of that, I'm not even sure YT will let you upload 5gb file.
Youtube's file size limit is actually 128GB with a maximum run time of up to 12 hours for verified accounts. For unverified accounts, the run time limit is just 15 minutes though...

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673

I do, however, agree that if this is a video of more "typical" length, it might be worth compressing it first, especially if your upload speed is limited. What is the length and resolution of the video?

Keep in mind that even if you upload a video at a really high quality, Youtube will re-encode it to maintain a lower file size so that they don't waste a lot of bandwidth, and so that people can view it smoothly on relatively modest connections. A 1080p video will probably be less than 50MB per minute once Youtube is done recompressing it on their end, though a 4K video could be several times as large. The exact file size can vary depending on things like how much motion and detail there is in the video. To minize the intruduction of artifacts, it's probably best to upload at a higher quality level than the video will ultimately be converted to, but if you have a 1080p video that's only 10 minutes in length, for example, you might not see much benefit from uploading a copy that's more than a gigabyte in size, as Youtube will likely be cutting it down to around several hundred megabytes anyway.

You can find their recommendations for video file settings here...

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Solution

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Thanks all

I learned a lesson yesterday, always but always set to 50 bitrate as average (max is not important) (in MAGIX/Sony software) render it with high quality, THEN compress it Q23 in Handbrake with h265 without hardware acceleration, gpu support actually ruins the compression but faster encoding. I did a 10mins of video cod warzone heavy on action, set it 50avg HEVC codec then compressed in handbrake, result: glorious, 970MB file as original file reduced to 237MB,

my problem solved, thank you all