[SOLVED] Can I use “Ryzen optimized” memory with intel? [SOLVED]

Emma92

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Hi, I posted this on Corsair forum but I did not receive an answer yet, so I will share it also here.

I bought by accident CMT16GX4M2Z3200C16 instead of CMT16GX4M2C3200C16
This is dominator platinum rgb 16gb ddr4 3200mhz.

I’m going to use it on a ROG z390-F with an i7 9700k at 5ghz or 5.2ghz.
As far as I know, it will work, the specs say “intel 300 compatible” (let me know if I’m wrong). But what about the OC?
When I enable the XMP, will it load values optimized for Ryzen and not intel? Are these values just the timing and volt, and I can change it manually to solve the problem? or it’s more than that and it’s better to return the product? I did not open it yet, but it’s just too much work, if there is no difference I will keep them.

white writing this I just got this reply from customer support.
“Z series SKUs are optimized for Ryzen, but should be perfectly fine on Intel platforms.”

Still...it means that it will work, but will the performance by affected?

Last edited:
Solution
It will work fine. DDR4 is DDR4. The only difference that makes them "Ryzen optimized" are the timings and Intel platforms are very compatible with a wide range of settings, plus most motherboards will simply change anything they don't like. Worst case scenario, and I wouldn't expect this in your case, a manual configuration of timings could be done but I seriously doubt you'll have any issues running at the XMP profile.
It will work fine. DDR4 is DDR4. The only difference that makes them "Ryzen optimized" are the timings and Intel platforms are very compatible with a wide range of settings, plus most motherboards will simply change anything they don't like. Worst case scenario, and I wouldn't expect this in your case, a manual configuration of timings could be done but I seriously doubt you'll have any issues running at the XMP profile.

Solution

Emma92

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019

Thank you for you fast answer!
The email I got from customer support even said the timing were the same, (16,18,18,36), so I checked and yeah, they are the same...the only difference is the stock speed I think, but when I enable the XMP it will run at 3200mhz 16,18,18,36, so I guess that won’t be an issue. And as you said, worst case scenario, I change the timing manually.
I will keep this modules then.

Have a nice day and thank you again!