[SOLVED] Can I use 1.5v ram in a slot which manufacturer recommends 1.35V?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2849646

I'm in need of a ram module upgrade and I was wondering whether I can use 1.5V module in a slot where the manufacturer suggests using a 1.35V module?

I have this: HMT351U6CFR8C-PB and want to put it in a dell optiplex 3040, which website says can only take ddr3l 1600 udimm modules. Will it work but just be bottlenecked at 1333MHz, or will the voltage actually be an issue?

Thanks.

Solution
You can use the low voltage (DDR3L) in a 1.5V socket, as the spec requires it be so. However, you cannot use 1.5V (DDR3) in a 1.35V socket. It simply will not work at all. Ever.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm in need of a ram module upgrade and I was wondering whether I can use 1.5V module in a slot where the manufacturer suggests using a 1.35V module?

I have this: HMT351U6CFR8C-PB and want to put it in a dell optiplex 3040, which website says can only take ddr3l 1600 udimm modules. Will it work but just be bottlenecked at 1333MHz, or will the voltage actually be an issue?

Thanks.
Why not just buy the right memory?

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/optiplex-3040-small-form-factor

Edit since you have it you can try but not a lot of a chance it will work .15 less can make a lot off difference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2849646

Because i have it in an old pc (1.5v modules)and i am avoiding buying unnecessary parts if i can help.

You know what, even though Dell is saying those are DDR3L slots, I bet they will also work with regular 1.5V DDR3. Dell's specs are only for what they've tested and a lot of times stuff works even when it was never tested. Since you already have the ram, I say try it and see what happens. Worse case, it won't work or be stable because the voltage is too low.

And be sure to report back!

You know what, even though Dell is saying those are DDR3L slots, I bet they will also work with regular 1.5V DDR3. Dell's specs are only for what they've tested and a lot of times stuff works even when it was never tested. Since you already have the ram, I say try it and see what happens. Worse case, it won't work or be stable because the voltage is too low.

And be sure to report back!
Optiplex 3040 REQUIRES DDR3L. It absolutely will not work in any way, shape, or form with DDR.

Exactly what you expect when compatible RAM isn't detected. No POST whatsoever. When a system says it requires DDRL it means it. The chipset is not designed to work with nor will it even try to boot off of DDR.
Generally this is exactly what I would expect, but since Dell and HP systems can generally do stuff they're not supposed to, I'm pretty shocked that this is nailed down that hard. Did any of the 1234 system diagnositic lights even light up? What about the power button?

Orange power button. Why are you surprised that a chipset that was designed for DDRL doesn't work with DDR? The higher voltage parts are not going to work at the lower voltages no matter what you may think.
Gotcha. Because I've seen oddball stuff work that's not suppose to on Dell/HPs before like ECC memory working in ECC mode with an i-series processor and other oddities like two different model xeons working on an HP dual processor system. Hence, I see the possibilities. In general you're right that a DDR3L socket won't provide enough power for DDR3 ram, but because this is a Dell and with my experience with Dells breaking the rules, unless someone actually did it and tried it thoroughly I would have believed it had a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts