[SOLVED] Can I use 1660 ti geforce on ga-880gm-usb3?

TheNewbie6

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
Some guy told me that it isn't important the motherboard type you can use any card as long as you have powerful power supply?Is that true?
Can I use this card with this motherboard?

Solution
"Doesn't look like your motherboard fits either of those criteria"So can the motherboard run the gpu to its full potential?And what do you think the minimum power supply that I could use?
That was too complicated, sorry.
That gpu will be fine with that mobo.

Need to know what your cpu is, but:
1660Ti is a 120w card + the power draw of the cpu + 50w for everything else + another 50w if overclocking = total possible system power

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, that's not true. There are other variables.
-Motherboards from older prebuilt PCs: some of these jerkwad companies had custom bioses that limited what you could upgrade to - to force their customers into spending more.
-Some older motherboards have bandwidth limitations. The card would run, but not at 100%.

Doesn't look like your motherboard fits either of those criteria. Another thing 'that guy' is wrong about...
-Quality over quantity. If you're adding a high end gpu to your system, you do the same for the power supply. Don't hook up your 500w gpu to just any 600 - 700w psu, it'll bite ya later.

TheNewbie6

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019
No, that's not true. There are other variables.
-Motherboards from older prebuilt PCs: some of these jerkwad companies had custom bioses that limited what you could upgrade to - to force their customers into spending more.
-Some older motherboards have bandwidth limitations. The card would run, but not at 100%.

Doesn't look like your motherboard fits either of those criteria. Another thing 'that guy' is wrong about...
-Quality over quantity. If you're adding a high end gpu to your system, you do the same for the power supply. Don't hook up your 500w gpu to just any 600 - 700w psu, it'll bite ya later.
"Doesn't look like your motherboard fits either of those criteria"So can the motherboard run the gpu to its full potential?And what do you think the minimum power supply that I could use?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

1660Ti is a 120w card + the power draw of the cpu + 50w for everything else + another 50w if overclocking = total possible system power

Solution

TheNewbie6

Reputable
Sep 8, 2019

glad that you noticed that it was quite complicated to me and simplified it after all I am "the newbie" literally :D
My cpu is amd phenom II X6 1090T 3.2ghz
thanks for the help man