[SOLVED] Can i use 2 powerline adapters with 1 modem?

Lozier

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
Basically there are 2 computers in my house, 1 for me and my brother. Currently my brother is using a powerline adapter to connect to his pc. And i have been using Wifi but my wifi is very laggy when it comes to gaming and i would like to switch to ethernet. Is there anyway i could use a powerline adapter aswell without interfering with my brothers PC? My modem is the garage and i cant move it

Solution
You can add a third powerline adapters. Although you should be able to buy other brands I would buy a exact model of the other 2 you already have. The 3 units will act as a switch. Both machine will talk to the unit by the router as well as talk to each other if you wanted to transfer data directly between the 2 end machines.

They don't interfere with each other but there is still only a limited total bandwidth. Unless your internet is very fast it should not be a limiting factor.
You can add a third powerline adapters. Although you should be able to buy other brands I would buy a exact model of the other 2 you already have. The 3 units will act as a switch. Both machine will talk to the unit by the router as well as talk to each other if you wanted to transfer data directly between the 2 end machines.

They don't interfere with each other but there is still only a limited total bandwidth. Unless your internet is very fast it should not be a limiting factor.

Solution

Lozier

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
Will it interfere with my brothers connection? My brother has these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333331202358

and if i buy those aswell, i only have to use one right?

Yes that will work. You need to read the instructions on how you connect a unit to the other ones. When you buy them in pairs they have the encryption keys set to work with each other. It is pretty easy to change this but the details vary greatly between units.

So one correction--because they're sharing the bandwidth, they're more like a hub than a switch. ;) But I know you already know this. :D

Moca works the same way--shared bandwidth like a hub. Hence why moca 2.5Gbps helps in high bandwidth use cases.