[SOLVED] Can I use 2 wireless adapters in the same PC?

Oct 22, 2021
Can I use two wireless adapters in the same PC?

I'm adding a new windows 10 pro 32bit computer to the network. it has an unused ethernet adapter and a wireless adapter that connects to the internet by connecting to a local wifi connection.

I also have a local area network that has a wireless router and a NAS server for local files, but it is not connected to the internet. I'd like to access files on the local NAS server without connecting it to the internet (for obvious security reasons). This new pc is not in a convenient location to connect a lan hard wire to the ethernet adapter, so I'm trying to add a second wireless adapter to connect to the NAS server files wirelessly through the LAN's wireless router.

If I'm connected to the internet wifi, and then try to configure the properties of the new wireless adapter to connect to the nas wireless, I lose my internet connection and network properties shows that the other adapter is now connected to the nas wireless.

This scenario works fine on Windows XP and Windows 7, but it seems that windows 10 intentionally blocked this type of security configuration. Does anyone know how to get it to work in windows 10 with 2 wireless adapters?

Solution
You should be able to have multiple wifi adapters in window 10. I have not tried it lately but it allows multiple ethernet and that is the same concept.

Your problem is likely related to IP addresses. You first need to be sure the subnet used by the main network and your nas network are different. For example use 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x
Next on the network that connects to the NAS you need to remove the gateway. This is what causes most the issues. You can only have 1 path ...ie gateway..to the internet. When you have multiple windows will select only 1 based on its rules and it may not pick the one your want.

The simple way to do this is to assign a fixed IP on the wifi nic that is on the NAS network and leave the...
Oct 22, 2021
I'm adding a new windows 10 pro 32bit computer to the network. it has an unused ethernet adapter and a wireless adapter that connects to the internet by connecting to a local wifi connection.

I also have a local area network that has a wireless router and a NAS server for local files, but it is not connected to the internet. I'd like to access files on the local NAS server without connecting it to the internet (for obvious security reasons). This new pc is not in a convenient location to connect a lan hard wire to the ethernet adapter, so I'm trying to add a second wireless adapter to connect to the NAS server files wirelessly through the LAN's wireless router.

If I'm connected to the internet wifi, and then try to configure the properties of the new wireless adapter to connect to the nas wireless, I lose my internet connection and network properties shows that the other adapter is now connected to the nas wireless.

This scenario works fine on Windows XP and Windows 7, but it seems that windows 10 intentionally blocked this type of security configuration. Does anyone know how to get it to work in windows 10 with 2 wireless adapters?

ps. this is cross posted into windows 10 forum, I hope that is ok....

You should be able to have multiple wifi adapters in window 10. I have not tried it lately but it allows multiple ethernet and that is the same concept.

Your problem is likely related to IP addresses. You first need to be sure the subnet used by the main network and your nas network are different. For example use 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x
Next on the network that connects to the NAS you need to remove the gateway. This is what causes most the issues. You can only have 1 path ...ie gateway..to the internet. When you have multiple windows will select only 1 based on its rules and it may not pick the one your want.

The simple way to do this is to assign a fixed IP on the wifi nic that is on the NAS network and leave the gateway and dns setting blank. You can also use the ROUTE command to remove one of the 0.0.0.0 routes but I would use the static IP method.

Solution