[SOLVED] Can i use 2x8 sticks on Intel DH55TC

Jan 18, 2022
I want to know if i can use 2x8 sticks on Intel DH55TC because 2 slots of my motherboard isnt working, and i want to use 16GB of RAM. I tested 1 stick of 8GB with 1600MHz and when the windows will start the computer restart automatically, but i don't if this happening because of the frequency or because the stick has 8GB.

Solution
I'm pretty sure you are limited to using 4gb sticks. The user manual is very confusing (I never liked Intel-branded mobos).
Here:
The board has four DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:
• Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support
• Support for non-ECC, unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with x8
organization
16 GB maximum total system memory (with 2 Gb memory technology)
• Minimum total system memory: 1 GB using 1 Gb x8 module
• Serial Presence Detect
• DDR3 1333 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

I highlighted in red the relevant line. I could be wrong but I believe by "2Gb memory technology" they are referring to 2Gb per rank. A dual-rank stick from that era could...
Jan 18, 2022
I can access the bios and there is recognized a 8GB ram stick and its running at 1333Mhz(the max of the motherboard), but the windows doesnt start. Anybody knows if there is a way to fix it or if i put a 1333Mhz stick will work proprerly

Jan 18, 2022
1600mhz is just to fast for the motherboard but a 1333 mhz stick should work properly if im not mistaken and as long as you don't have another issue causing this issue like a failing stick of ram.

larkspur

Distinguished
I'm pretty sure you are limited to using 4gb sticks. The user manual is very confusing (I never liked Intel-branded mobos).
Here:
The board has four DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:
• Two independent memory channels with interleaved mode support
• Support for non-ECC, unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with x8
organization
16 GB maximum total system memory (with 2 Gb memory technology)
• Minimum total system memory: 1 GB using 1 Gb x8 module
• Serial Presence Detect
• DDR3 1333 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz SDRAM DIMMs

I highlighted in red the relevant line. I could be wrong but I believe by "2Gb memory technology" they are referring to 2Gb per rank. A dual-rank stick from that era could have 4gb per stick. It's the only way I can see 4 RAM slots making 16gb max with "2gb memory technology" according to the manual. Anyway, it would seem that if two of the RAM slots aren't working then you are limited to 8gb. You might try reseating the CPU - those slots that don't work might be because of a bad connection with the CPU and the socket.

Here's the manual for the mobo: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...ards/H55_P55/DH55TC/DH55TC_ProductGuide01.pdf

Solution
Jan 18, 2022
1600mhz is just to fast for the motherboard but a 1333 mhz stick should work properly if im not mistaken and as long as you don't have another issue causing this issue like a failing stick of ram.
Its very strange, because the Mobo see as 8gb ram, but the system doesn't boot. I'm afraid to buy an 8GB stick and it won't work and end up throwing money away

Jan 18, 2022
Here:

I highlighted in red the relevant line. I could be wrong but I believe by "2Gb memory technology" they are referring to 2Gb per rank. A dual-rank stick from that era could have 4gb per stick. It's the only way I can see 4 RAM slots making 16gb max with "2gb memory technology" according to the manual. Anyway, it would seem that if two of the RAM slots aren't working then you are limited to 8gb. You might try reseating the CPU - those slots that don't work might be because of a bad connection with the CPU and the socket.

Here's the manual for the mobo: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...ards/H55_P55/DH55TC/DH55TC_ProductGuide01.pdf
Yes man, the manual is very confusing. I've seen this before and don't understand nothing, but can be this, 2GB dual rank is equal a 4GB. So following this I just can use 16GB with 4x4GB, but in my case I'm stuck at 8GB. The strange is the Mobo recognize the 8GB stick and just doesn't start the system