Question Can I use a "12V1.5A" power cord on an external hard drive that asks for "36W-12V/3A"?

Jun 18, 2019
I moved and unplugged all of my power cords and they got jumbled up. Now I'm having problems reuniting the correct power cords to their devices. I'm trying to find the correct power cord for an external drive. I found one that says "Output: 12V1.5A" (Input: 100-240V...). I looked up the device on the manufacturing site of the external hard drive and it asks for "36W-12V/3A". Would this power cord work and not fry the device?

Jun 18, 2019
I don't think it's a good idea as it would overload the power pack since it has a 1.5A output rating and the drive says it needs a 3A capability.

I assume your power cable isn't just the cable but includes the power pack too.

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep searching through my cables for the right one.

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep searching through my cables for the right one.
I will offer one suggestion: if you're running an SSD in the drive enclosure it MIGHT work.

The 3A rating is probably to allow for in-rush current during hard drive spin-up for a spinner. An SSD doesn't have that issue and it may get along just fine with the 1.5A input current limitation. But if you can find a power pack/cable with a 3A rating or more that's still the best idea.

Jun 18, 2019
Thank you for the more detailed response! I'll keep looking for the right power cord/power pack. I'm kicking myself for not labelling/storing it correctly.

IIRC, WD's external drives ship with 12V 3A power adapters whereas Seagate's come with 12V 2A adapters. Or at least that was the case years ago.

I would be very careful to ensure that any adapter that you use has the correct polarity. IIRC WD and Seagate adapters are centre pin positive. This should be printed on the ratings label.