Question Can I use a 2.5" SATA as the solitary bootable drive in a desktop PC?

Aug 5, 2019
So I have a 2.5" SATA HDD that I want to make the bootable drive of my Dell OptiPlex 9010. Currently I'm using a 3.5" SATA HDD with Win10, and had both drive hooked up while I managed to install Win7 Home to the 2.5 (it'll be Win10 later), and so when I reboot it gives me the option to boot up Win7 (2.5) or Win10 (3.5). I can select Win7 and the 2.5 will boot just fine.

BUUUT, when I disconnect the 3.5, and try to boot from the 2.5 while it's the only drive connected, it tells me there isn't ANY bootable device connnected. When I reattach the 3.5 and reboot, suddenly it offers me the choice to use the 2.5 to boot again.

I've checked and rechecked the cables many times, so that option is off the table. I dont think its drivers or OEM since Win7 was installed directly to it from a disc om this rig. The whole point of this experiment is to have a bootable drive alongside a storage drive within the case of this tiny OptiPlex 9010, there's just not enough space for two 3.5 bricks, but a 2.5 and a 3.5 together fit amply.

So yeah, back to the question, can I use this 2.5" bootable alone? Is it a power issue, is there an adapter of some sort? Or is it just a lost cause?

USAFRet

Titan
This results from having both drives connected when you did the install.
You selected the 2.5" drive, but Windows, in its infinite wisdom, places the boot partition on the 'other drive'.

Since this is to be a new install, just redo it.
Have only the 2.5" drive connected.

Aug 5, 2019
Understood, I'll format and give it another go, thanx

EDIT: Ahm, I read your HOW TO AWARD BEST ANSWERS link, but I don't see the Best Answer trophy/arrows to the top-left of the post like it says :/

USAFRet

Titan
Understood, I'll format and give it another go, thanx

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
This results from having both drives connected when you did the install.
You selected the 2.5" drive, but Windows, in its infinite wisdom, places the boot partition on the 'other drive'.

Since this is to be a new install, just redo it.
Have only the 2.5" drive connected.
Had this happen before, there are tools to move the boot partition but it is a pain in the ass, and i'm sure it can cause other issues