CAN I USE A 266MZ FSB PROCESSOR ON A 200 MHZ FSB MOTHRBOAR

G

I WANT TO BUY THE NEW KG7 FROM ABIT, RIGHT NOW I HAVE A 200 MHZ FSB MOTHERBOARD. I WANT TO BUY THE NEW 266MHZ PROC, AND PUT INTO MY MOTHERBOARD UNTIL THE KG7 SHIPS.

YES!

I have an athlon C 266 processor in my board right now. My board is the abit kt7-raid non 266fsb board. It is running flawlessly considering it got burnt when the fan died. it's at 1.3ghz and it's a 1.33 (266) ayhja stepping processor which u can get at newegg for like 135 ... not a bad price.

Have fun!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
Yeah, but it won't run as fast as it's specified, depending on the chip speed. Notice his is 1.33 running at only 1.3; this is because since it runs at 200, the multiplier has to be 6.5, instead of 5 if it was running at 133 for the full 1.33GHz. Depending on your chip speed, it may run slower than it is specified. You CAN run it, but like I said it may not run full speed.

oooo a whole 30 megahurts! like your gonna notice a difference... point is it'll be a nice upgrade once he gets his new mobo. from 200fsb to 266. matter of fact if this mobo could support you can set it at 1.4ghz since it is the same stepping it wouldn't hurt any. of course cooling is super important...

how will it run slower? 30 megaherts is a litte trivial don't u think? you will not notice any difference.. besides just set the the cpu to 1.4ghz or even 1350. i can't because this stupid mobo tops out at 1.2ghz and after that it autodetects.. stupid softbios grrr... if i had dip switches i could set it too 1.4ghz ... *shrugs*

so ya it'll work and it won't be slower.. your fsb will not be faster either but your cpu won't be slow i don't know what the hell he's talkin about. 1.3ghz slow!? lol! you can always overclock it a litte maybe to 1.4 even and it won't hurt anything if u can that is.. if not 1.3ghz is fast enough and when you get your new mobo easy 30megahurts upgrade lol ... 1.3ghz slow... sheesh.... j/k btw ... but ya 135 bucks u can't go wrong.. or wait until october for the athlon 4 and the latest and the greatest?

Have fun!

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
I just want to clarify that the multiplyer for 1.33ghz is actually x10, and 1.3 should be x13. The FSB is still set at 133Mhz and 100Mhz respectively, just that the DDR Ram can do twice as much in one cycle.

Well, technically you should notice some speed different, but since I never droppe dmy FSB to 100 so I won't know the difference =) So I will just leave it at that

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but now he has faster memory subsystem that will perform better than its 200 MHz counterpart, and you could always overclock it a bit farther...

and the multiplier are 13 x 100 and 10 x 133 respectively. the FSB is DDR. and even with 100 MHz FSB, you could always put it to 13.5 although I would say 133 MHz FSB on a non 133 board with 11 multiplier will give optimum results - his chip is a AYHJA a real champ at overclocking that can go as high as 1700!

but on a non 133 FSB board I would recommend that 11x133 and better CPU HS/F and a simple chipset cooler as well.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Hey,

well he has a non 133(266ddr) board right now and asked if he could put in an athlon C processor until he gets his new mobo. The answer is simply yes. And it's 135 bucks US. If his boards tops out at 1ghz even, so what? he's getting a new mobo soon anyway. He just wanted to know if it will work. and yes it will work.

Have fun!