[SOLVED] Can I use a 6-pin and a separate 8-pin connector for my 2070 Super?

Aug 12, 2020
I just purchased the 2070 super and noticed it requires a 14-pin PCIe connector. My previous GPU only needed a 6-pin. I have an 8-pin connector that came with the PSU. Can I just plug in the 8-pin connector and use both cables to power the new GPU, or do I need to buy a PCIe connector cable specifically for this?

Solution
There is no 14 pin PCIe connector, you need an 8 then a separate 6 pin connector to the video card. Sounds like you have a modular PSU, make sure the cable goes to the PCIe power holes on it.
Aug 12, 2020
There is no 14 pin PCIe connector, you need an 8 then a separate 6 pin connector to the video card. Sounds like you have a modular PSU, make sure the cable goes to the PCIe power holes on it.

Okay cool. I didn't know if there was an 8+6 connector or something I needed. I should be good then.

Okay cool. I didn't know if there was an 8+6 connector or something I needed. I should be good then.

Video card connectors (at least currently) are max 8 pins, most in a 6+2 configuration on the cable of the power supply. If there are two power connectors needed for a card you need to use two of those power cables. For a card with both an 8 and 6 pin requirement you'd use the full 8 and then a 6.