[SOLVED] Can I use a B450M motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600?

BakedEoin

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi all,
My Intel 6700k died yesterday so I guess its time to upgrade. My case only supports micro atx boards so I was going to buy the ASRock AMD B450M Pro4 motherboard because all of the X570M boards are very expensive.

Will I be able to use this without having another CPU to update the bios or am I screwed?

Solution
Hi all,
My Intel 6700k died yesterday so I guess its time to upgrade. My case only supports micro atx boards so I was going to buy the ASRock AMD B450M Pro4 motherboard because all of the X570M boards are very expensive.

Will I be able to use this without having another CPU to update the bios or am I screwed?
That motherboard does support the Ryzen 3000 series, but first it will need a BIOS update. AFAIK there isn't a way to update the BIOS on that before putting the CPU in. Instead you can use the B450M/AC which comes with builtin support for the Ryzen 3000 series. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450Mac/index.asp
Hi all,

That motherboard does support the Ryzen 3000 series, but first it will need a BIOS update. AFAIK there isn't a way to update the BIOS on that before putting the CPU in. Instead you can use the B450M/AC which comes with builtin support for the Ryzen 3000 series. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450Mac/index.asp

Solution

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi all,

Hi @BakedEoin

Yes, that mobo will support an R5 3600. However, you'll want to check the Bios version that's been installed before buying as the 3600 requires Bios Ver.# 3.30. You can check this by looking at the sticker on the mobo (if open box) &/or it may be listed on the outer box itself if the mobo was recently manufactured.. If you verify the Bios is an older version, you can contact AMD for a free loaner CPU to flash the Bios with or if you have a friend with a 1k or 2k series Ryzen CPU you could borrow. I know you don't wanna have to do that but its still an option.

Whats the price? The MSI Tomahawk Max is an excellent mobo and it's 3k series ready right out of the box.

Reactions: BakedEoin
Hi @BakedEoin

Yes, that mobo will support an R5 3600. However, you'll want to check the Bios version that's been installed before buying as the 3600 requires Bios Ver.# 3.30. You can check this by looking at the sticker on the mobo (if open box) &/or it may be listed on the outer box itself if the mobo was recently manufactured.. If you verify the Bios is an older version, you can contact AMD for a free loaner CPU to flash the Bios with or if you have a friend with a 1k or 2k series Ryzen CPU you could borrow. I know you don't wanna have to do that but its still an option.

Whats the price? The MSI Tomahawk Max is an excellent mobo and it's 3k series ready right out of the box.
The Tomahawk won't work for @BakedEoin due to the case being mATX and there aren't any mATX MSI Tomahawk motherboards. Could use the Mortar MAX though as that has a mATX version.

Asrock B450m AC has far worse VRMs than B450Ms from MSI. I would go for the Mortar or if you want to save money, go for the Gaming Plus and use the BIOS flashing feature.

And as for the 6700K dying, is that serious? I've never heard CPUs "die" without an extremely dumb treatment from the user (and even with that happening, CPUs can still survive). I'm pretty sure it's not the CPU.

BakedEoin

Honorable
Dec 11, 2014
And as for the 6700K dying, is that serious? I've never heard CPUs "die" without an extremely dumb treatment from the user (and even with that happening, CPUs can still survive). I'm pretty sure it's not the CPU.
Who's saying that I didn't do something extremely dumb? I dropped it on the ground and the chip bent when I was changing cpu coolers