[SOLVED] Can I Use A CPU Heatsink Without Fan?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I want to test my new build, but my CPU fan didn't arrive yet. I've got a old Intel Stock CPU heatsink without a fan. Can I use thermal paste and stick it to the CPU? Also, how long will I be able to use it?

My Specs:
Zebronics H61
Core i3 3240
4 GB DDr3 RAM
450 Watt PSU
GT 710 2 GB DDr3

Solution
Yes, but not for too long.

If you need a longer period of use, you can use an external electric fan to cool it.

Some motherboards might not start without a CPU fan connected.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I want to test my new build, but my CPU fan didn't arrive yet. I've got a old Intel Stock CPU heatsink without a fan. Can I use thermal paste and stick it to the CPU? Also, how long will I be able to use it?

My Specs:
Zebronics H61
Core i3 3240
4 GB DDr3 RAM
450 Watt PSU
GT 710 2 GB DDr3
Don't do that their no reason to, you're probably going to get a CPU fan error anyhow.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I recently test fired my build with only the CPU block and GPU block installed, no fluid. Waited for the BIOS screen and shut it off, just to make sure it worked before taking the time to fill it back up and bleed it. I had bought a spare heatsink for the job, though mostly to go on my old board if needed.

Owterspace

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
I have a Le Grand Macho RT and it can handle my 3770K @ 4500MHz 1.215v running Linpack Extreme 1.15 with no fan attached to the cooler. I can also run a 3600XT on it with no fan. The cooler has a TDP rating of 90w with no fan.

As for the CPU fan error.. you can just disable that in the bios.