[SOLVED] Can I use a dual link dvi d splitter to have dual monitor?

Zuriel Angelo

Honorable
Mar 28, 2017
Recently purchased a rx 580 with only a dvi d port and I have an extra monitor laying around and so I was wondering if I could just buy a some sort of dual link dvi d splitter to use a single link dvi to my main monitor and vga to my second monitor.

Solution
the splitter would only mirror the screen to the second output. not really that useful.

the card should have more outputs, you can use an adapter to get what you need for the second monitor. they don't cost much. around $10. but if you're going from hdmi or dp to vga, you will need an "active" adapter that changes the digital signal from the card to the old analog signal of the monitor. other than that, it'll work.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the splitter would only mirror the screen to the second output. not really that useful.

the card should have more outputs, you can use an adapter to get what you need for the second monitor. they don't cost much. around $10. but if you're going from hdmi or dp to vga, you will need an "active" adapter that changes the digital signal from the card to the old analog signal of the monitor. other than that, it'll work.

Solution

Zuriel Angelo

Honorable
Mar 28, 2017

Oh so I basically can't, my rx 580 is a mining one, with only dvi d and my cpu doesn't have igpu. Guess I'll have to stick with one. Thanks