Question Can I use a generic PSU to power a monitor with a broken power supply

Aug 23, 2024
Hey all,
I have an Acer XZ270 Xbmiipx that is not turning on and the power indicator light is dead, which makes me strongly suspect that it's a PSU issue. I'm having no luck finding a replacement part online, so I was wondering if it would be possible to use a generic PSU meant for a PC as a substitute. Does anyone know if this is safe and practical?

Ralston18

Titan
I will answer no.

Most electronics are not made to be repairable.

You would need to know the specific input voltage(s) required by the monitor. You would need to know the specific output voltages of the generic PSU.

You would need to correctly map PSU output (3.3, 5, and 12 volts) pins to the appropriate monitor power-in pins. Even if there is (unlikely) a match in the voltages. If not, then you need converters etc. to change the PSU voltages to monitor voltages.

For the most part, PSU output voltages and pins are well documented.

Very likely finding the necessary monitor schematics and required input voltages would be difficult and, even if found, may not be accurate.

Then the repair work would have to be of very high quality to ensure that there are no shorts etc. with respect to making the connections.

Plus even if the substitute power supply is made to work, it is very likely that some domino effect will occur and another monitor component subsequently fails. Maybe catastrophically. Any associated damages would be on you.

Overall - even a direct repair is probably not viable and swapping in/substituting another power source is much more problematic and dangerous.

Do not risk it.

= = = =

Coincidentally, I have just started into looking for a second monitor for a dual monitor setup.

You can purchase a brand name monitor (24" range) for less than $100 USD. One big box store is selling a known brand 24"monitor for $70.00 USD at the moment. A new monitor with a warranty. Some open box models were even less expensive.

Much more safer and practical to buy a new monitor.

Reactions: tuxfrog
Aug 23, 2024
I will answer no.

Most electronics are not made to be repairable.

You would need to know the specific input voltage(s) required by the monitor. You would need to know the specific output voltages of the generic PSU.

You would need to correctly map PSU output (3.3, 5, and 12 volts) pins to the appropriate monitor power-in pins. Even if there is (unlikely) a match in the voltages. If not, then you need converters etc. to change the PSU voltages to monitor voltages.

For the most part, PSU output voltages and pins are well documented.

Very likely finding the necessary monitor schematics and required input voltages would be difficult and, even if found, may not be accurate.

Then the repair work would have to be of very high quality to ensure that there are no shorts etc. with respect to making the connections.

Plus even if the substitute power supply is made to work, it is very likely that some domino effect will occur and another monitor component subsequently fails. Maybe catastrophically. Any associated damages would be on you.

Overall - even a direct repair is probably not viable and swapping in/substituting another power source is much more problematic and dangerous.

Do not risk it.

= = = =

Coincidentally, I have just started into looking for a second monitor for a dual monitor setup.

You can purchase a brand name monitor (24" range) for less than $100 USD. One big box store is selling a known brand 24"monitor for $70.00 USD at the moment. A new monitor with a warranty. Some open box models were even less expensive.

Much more safer and practical to buy a new monitor.
Alright, thank you!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395331181437

AC Adapter For Acer Nitro XZ2 XZ272 XZ272U XZ270U 27" LED Curved Gaming Monitor

The only differance is the Ebay one has a "U" XZ270 vs XZ270U
I have an Acer XZ270 Xbmiipx
You can also check your power supply for life with a voltmeter set to DC and read the output of connector. No life get the replacement. If it has correct output maybe it's the monitor.