Question Can I use a GTX 1070 with my current setup?

Mar 12, 2019
I'm thinking about buying This GTX 1070 and I have This Computer
-AMD FX 6399 HexaCore 6 x 3.5G GHz - 4 GHz Turbo
-Biostar A960Dplus AM3+ Mainboard
-8gb DDR3
-NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 2GB
-420W LC-Power 420H Silent-Deluxe
-Sharkoon T3-W Case
I know there will be a huge bottleneck but I have to wait till I can get a better CPU, does my power supply, motherboard, and case allow me to actually be able to use this graphics card?

DSzymborski

Judicious
What about a 1060?
It's the usual dodgy, shoddily-build unsafe power supply that you see bargain PC assemblers stuff into prebuilts, assuming that their customers won't notice the difference. LC-Power is one of the most notorious of these off-brand PSU vendors. Any upgrade would involve a new power supply; I wouldn't even be comfortable having that in my PC even in your current configuration.

Honestly, I'd wait until you can get a CPU upgrade for a GPU upgrade. Unless you're swapping out the CPU/motherboard/RAM in a month or something, by the time you made the upgrades, you could get a better-than-1070 or better-than-1060 GPU for the price of a 1070 or 1060 right now. Since you're nearly maxed out in what an FX-6300 can handle anyway, there's not a great deal of purpose to doing a GPU upgrade right now.

DSzymborski

Judicious
The PSU has no 6 or 6+2 PCIE connections. Shouldn't be running any cards. Very poor quality.
Man, 15A on the +12V rail. It doesn't even have the guts to be a garbage 350W masquerading as a 420W.

Running a GTX 1070 or even 1060 on this (presumably with adapters) and it won't be long until you get a nice little fireworks show. Quite the frightening PSU.

OP, even if this had high-quality parts, it's a 180W power supply, not a 420W one. It doesn't.

Mar 12, 2019
Ok, one more question though (thank you for all of the helpful replies) I have 200-300 bucks to spend for now and I was wondering what I should upgrade, the AMD Fx 6300, the LC420H Power supply, or the GTX 1050... I am honestly just wanting a perfect 60 fps in fortnite ughh
(Also im kinda new so if i cant ask this question here i can move it to a new post)

DSzymborski

Judicious
Yeah, a perfect 60 fps will necessarily involve some significant compromises no matter what you do. You're limited by your platform.

Your best bet is to buy a PSU -- a quality one will still have many years left when you have a major upgrade -- and then hang tough until you can make a platform and GPU upgrade. For now, your best option is to simply turn settings all the way down rather than throw good money after bad.